Just Browsing Towing mirrors

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Hi All,

Just wondering if those who use Aussie truck style mirrors have any problems with them scratching you tugs paintwork on the doors. The last two times I have used them after removing the mirrors there has been light scratches on the doors. But not where the padded part touches the door it is in the surrounding area. the mirror straps are tight and the duco has always been clean prior to fitting. It has me a little confused!!

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I used to use these and always cleaned both the door (to a spotless shine) and strap every time they were put on. Despite this, over some time, in the right light I could see they wore away at the clear coat where the strap touched the surface. Carnauba wax polished most of it out.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I've used them for years with no real issue, except one time a strap came loose in the wet going down the Clyde Mtn on the NSW south coast. no where to pull over the bottom buckle was banging against the door with some minor chipping,
I've seen some people use those lambs wool seat belt cover things on the strap to help stop them rubbing.

Currently running some Milenco Grand Aero which have been OK but find they don't give quite even rear vision down the side as I can't extend the out far enough. but easy and quick to put on and can fold the main mirrors with then still fitted.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While they were great on the Jeep the shape of the door on the Colorado means the straps are very close to the duco and I'm thinking they may leave some marks, will have a good look when I can wash it.
I doubt if lambswool would protect the paint, I would think it would cause more as it will catch more dust/dirt.
Some elephant ears would be nice but even with the mileage we rack up, $800 is a bit rich, I can respray the door quite a few times for that.
I've been thinking of a clear film over the area might work a treat.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I place a block of foam between the strap and the door. This stops the strap from vibrating and protects the paint. No problems noticed.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I'm a retired signwriter so this is what I did with the truck mirrors. I cut a strip of the magnetic sheet we use in the industry for signs. I cut it to the length of the strap and just a bit wider. Make sure the door has no dust or grit, attach the magnetic strip under where the strap goes to protect paintwork on vehicle. As far as the strap vibrating, I went to a pharmacy and bought a seat belt protector used for babies, this is padded and velcros around the strap before its tightened and eliminates the vibes.
Any signwriter could supply you with a bit of magnetic.
Hope the helps.