Towing a 17-56.2 with a 2010 Hilux Twincab SR5 3.0 TD

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Hi guys,

Feeling a little worried about Towing our 17.56-2 with our 2010 Hilux which only has the 2250kg towing capacity.

The jayco dealer said we would be fine and have multiple caravanning nuts in our family that say it will be fine, but some of the posts on here have me deeply concerned that ive made a huge mistake.

Its taken me a while to work out exactly what the likely payload we will be able to put in the van to two, and i am aware that we will be restricted especially if we want to carry water. We will be going to caravan parks almost exclusively so shouldnt have any water in the tanks really at all.

Does anyone have any experience with a recent model Hilux and this type of tow?

Any thoughts/suggestions etc.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
hmmm I would think you would be on the limit. I have a prado with 2500 and it's getting close once you add water, gas x 2 food, cloths, pots, pans, TV, blankets, etc, etc.

Yeh it should tow it no problems at all but legally ?????

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
As I said I wouldnt be carrying water at all really. How much do the water tanks full weigh

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
My 17.56-2 outback tares at 2330kg without water or gas, plus all the goodies..
i traded out my hilux for this exact same reason. Hilux will tow it no issues, but its a gamble if you ever geT weighed.
Check your tare on the mod plate installed on the van. We have the shower/toilet, roof top air con, plus solar anD batteries. Mine may be different. It's an outback too

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
My 17.56-2 outback tares at 2330kg without water or gas, plus all the goodies..
i traded out my hilux for this exact same reason. Hilux will tow it no issues, but its a gamble if you ever geT weighed.
Check your tare on the mod plate installed on the van. We have the shower/toilet, roof top air con, plus solar anD batteries. Mine may be different. It's an outback too
That doesnt sound right. 2330kg? Tare weight listed by Jayco is 1747. A tad higher for the OB. I get that a few addons add weight but 600kg? without gas or water? what did you add in that thing?

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
That doesnt sound right. 2330kg? Tare weight listed by Jayco is 1747. A tad higher for the OB. I get that a few addons add weight but 600kg? without gas or water? what did you add in that thing?

Can send you a photo. The OB is 300kg heavier for a start.
Roof top air-con, dual batteries, dual solar panels, 150l fridge, extended draw bar, standard 17.56-2 options - hot water system, and so on.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Josh,
Just to give you a heads up, whatever extras you have ordered with you van will add up pretty quickly onto your tare weight, so maybe get in touch with Jayco to get an approx fitted/finished tare weight for your 17.56-2 with your options/extras. I read in your intro thread that you have a few extras being fitted like roof top air con, wind up antenna and 150l fridge etc etc...

I can tell you we have a 2011 16.49-1OB and the brochure tare weight from 2011 was 1435kg's. But our compliance plate is tare 1650Kg, that's a massive increase from brochure to compliance plate.
The extras on our Expanda are full oven, roof top air, battery, picnic table, wind up antenna, 150l fridge.

The 17.56-2 in the 2013 brochure states tare weight 1758kg's, but I wouldn't be going by that number. You really need to get a break down from Jayco on the weights of you extras first.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Cheers lizard. That's also interesting! Did you have anything taken out of the van originally?

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Hi guys,

Feeling a little worried about Towing our 17.56-2 with our 2010 Hilux which only has the 2250kg towing capacity.

The jayco dealer said we would be fine and have multiple caravanning nuts in our family that say it will be fine, but some of the posts on here have me deeply concerned that ive made a huge mistake.

Its taken me a while to work out exactly what the likely payload we will be able to put in the van to two, and i am aware that we will be restricted especially if we want to carry water. We will be going to caravan parks almost exclusively so shouldnt have any water in the tanks really at all.

Does anyone have any experience with a recent model Hilux and this type of tow?

Any thoughts/suggestions etc.

Hi Josh

Can't help with Hilux info as we have a Pajero but had similar issues in
making sure of the weight of the van mainly the max ball weight.
We have the same van as you in outback version and my plate says -
max ball - 212kg, tare - 1903 and ATM - 2378kg
We have similar options - roof top air, 150ltr fridge, Solar pack, wind up antenna, external shower, picnic table.
Another thing to be cautious of is GCM (max combined weight of vehicle and van).
This can create insurance issues as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers greynt

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Rang the dealer this morning and he went and read the compliance plate. Tare - 1788 ATM 2263. The plate is getting redone to reduce the ATM to 2250 which means ill lose about 13 kg of payload, but will be legal on the Lux. So instead of 475kg payload ill have 462kg.

I double checked and all of the accessories we have ordered except the WDH and annexe were put on at time of build and so the tare weight is correct.

Surprised my Tare is that much lower than the OB model, although he did say they are usually at least 150kg heavier from the get go.

Has put my mind at ease.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Rang the dealer this morning and he went and read the compliance plate. Tare - 1788 ATM 2263. The plate is getting redone to reduce the ATM to 2250 which means ill lose about 13 kg of payload, but will be legal on the Lux. So instead of 475kg payload ill have 462kg.

I double checked and all of the accessories we have ordered except the WDH and annexe were put on at time of build and so the tare weight is correct.

Surprised my Tare is that much lower than the OB model, although he did say they are usually at least 150kg heavier from the get go.

Has put my mind at ease.

A positive result...

Glad to hear it is working out for you.

Just wondering if they have to redo the rego if it is already done?

Let us know how it all goes ;)

Wilko

Dec 20, 2012
Parkes NSW
Hi Josh,

I'm towing a 17.55.5sh outback with quite a few extras on it. I was worried about my 2011 Manual T/D Hilux having enough power to pull it. It has enough to keep it going along at the 90/100 mark but any hills make the needle slip back. Ive had to replaced the standard clutch with a heavy duty one. IMHO Toyota should hang their head in shame putting such a disgraceful excuse for a clutch in a car that needs a heavy duty one. They arent the unbreakable units they used to be

I'm yet to put my van over a weigh bridge to get a fully loaded weight but I think it'd be less then 2100kg