Journey Tow Vehicle. Landcruiser 200 vs Ford Ranger 3.2 Vs Landrover Discovery 4 vs Landcruiser 76

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Whats happening any contact made when you picking it up ???????
@Lozza T you can pop in for a cruiser show off on your way home carefull i may unblot a few things and fix me up the 5% ok lets make it 2.5% im not greedy

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
So you went a cruiser, even though you said you needed a dual cab for work..... ‍♂️
The cruisers have less payload than a Ranger do they not?

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
So you went a cruiser, even though you said you needed a dual cab for work..... ‍♂️
The cruisers have less payload than a Ranger do they not?
Yes you are correct. However you will not be able to use all that payload if you are towing close to 3 ton as you will exceed the GCM.

Reactions: Bluey

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Out of left field, ended up buying an Everest Sport for my wife and 3 kids.
Got the 3.2 engine, the 2.0 bi-turbo didn't really stand out for me. Not going to be the main tow vehicle but could be an option if my choice tug was not available. But would have to be with no weight added.

Currently my business has 2 company cars. One is my 2011 Triton, the other is my business partners 2017 Ranger Wildtrak.
He has offered to me to take the Ranger and to sell Triton.
The Ranger has 80,000 kms and I would want a canopy, rack and draw system installed.
I think it would be a much better tow vehicle than the Triton and it will be great for our annual trips.
But for the half lap I am still thinking the LC 200.
Is it worth buying a cruiser just for the trip and then re-selling once trip is done??
Or should I upgrade the GVM & GCM on the Ranger? Thats nearly 10k added with canopy, draws rack etc. Is that expense worth it on a 80,000 kms car?

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Whilst both will tow fine. You need to weigh up the outlay for a LC200, which may also need some suspension upgrades dont forget. They're not the be all and end all towing rig some people make them out to be. Yes they're an incredibly capable vehicle though.

I'll be biased because I have a Ranger with all the accessories you're talking about and I do need a gvm/gvm upgrade.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Upgrading the GCM etc on the Ranger I think is really only for getting better suspension as the original like most vehicles is rubbish for anything other than soccer mum duties, plus the tranny will need an upgrade as they just run too hot, the so called load cap isn't, its like the tow cap, fabricated................

Thing is Cruisers will run rings around the dual cabs and are still capable with the suspension upgrades for towing that bit extra, your not flogging the crap out of it like the dual cabs and 2lt twin turbos are a joke for a working vehicle.....and the more bling the less capable they seem to be.

A full read of this article will explain why the dual cabs aren't all that great for towing over the 3t and why the Cruiser is superior even when towing the 3.5t you don't loose the carrying capacity............... https://www.carsguide.com.au/tradie...-ratings-busting-the-great-3500kg-myths-73141

You will notice a Jeep/Landrover fella praising the Cruisota I hope................ "Just stating the facts Maam"

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Im about to get my GVM done 3900 bugger all realy for Gvm and GCM lovelles stuff and once your ranger has a far bit more ks on it like getting near 150 to 200 thousand its worth bugger all if its still going well if eva thinking of resale thats one thing for toyotas very good resale eva with a few ks my car weighs 2.7 tonne up against a light ute there weight unsure ?? Strong powerfull motor carnt be matched for towing
Its like a wood heater or gas heater theres no comparison in my house wood kills the gas true heat false gas heat

Reactions: Drover

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I had a EFS 2" lift on my 2013 Ranger - rode like a dream and loved it. Due to the car being 3T with a full tank of fuel and myself (along with all the upgrades) I had to swap over to Lovells GVM/GCM upgrade to remain legal.

The Lovells suspension ride quality is crap IMO. It's REALLY stiff, but it's the only legal option once you upgrade the car and have a large van. i just scrap in when loaded on all accounts (front axle weight, rear axle weight, ATM, GVM). Heaps to spare on GCM (but over on OEM GCM).

At least the 3T+ car (with all the family in it) feels really settled with a 3T van behind it.

Dream car is a F250 ;) no upgrades needed

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Assuming you meant to tag me @Brente1982

I got it done at Spicer Springs in Knoxfield, Vic.

There was very little change out of $5,500 (that included everything AND to top strut plates needed replacing due to wear and tear).

Then you walk into VicRoads with a bit of paper and your chest puffed out - at the end of your visit you now have a 3500/7000 combo. Incidentally I used one of the free caravan/car weighing services at a car show. The guys did a double take when checking the computer, but confirmed is was 7T GCM and not 6

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Assuming you meant to tag me @Brente1982

I got it done at Spicer Springs in Knoxfield, Vic.

There was very little change out of $5,500 (that included everything AND to top strut plates needed replacing due to wear and tear).

Then you walk into VicRoads with a bit of paper and your chest puffed out - at the end of your visit you now have a 3500/7000 combo. Incidentally I used one of the free caravan/car weighing services at a car show. The guys did a double take when checking the computer, but confirmed is was 7T GCM and not 6

Cool cool. How long ago was that? Because lovells now only to up to 6600GCM on the Ranger otherwise you need an upgraded intercooler for the 7000GCM. Which is fine. I don't need the extra 400kg.

I know a place in Sunshine does the kit for around 4800 but getting hold of them at the moment is a bit hard.

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Yeah they do but it only increases it to 6600kg. If you want the 7000kg one it needs the added intercooler, and possibly a trans cooler.
They might not mention it because it varies from state to state now. But in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania you can still get a SSM GCM upgrade from Lovells

Reactions: Macca_75

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Cool cool. How long ago was that? Because lovells now only to up to 6600GCM on the Ranger otherwise you need an upgraded intercooler for the 7000GCM. Which is fine. I don't need the extra 400kg.

I know a place in Sunshine does the kit for around 4800 but getting hold of them at the moment is a bit hard.
Statewide 4x4 in Kelior is where im getting cruiser done they are fitters of Lovells suspension

Reactions: Brente1982

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Statewide 4x4 in Kelior is where im getting cruiser done they are fitters of Lovells suspension
How much are they charging you? I've just been quoted $5260 for the stage 1 Lovells kit on the Ranger (gvm 3500kg/gcm 6600kg)
What I'm not sure on is if that price is inclusive of the engineers report/signoff

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Toyota Landcruiser 70 series?
I thought I would re-open this thread on tow vehicles. I have received delivery of my new Journey 22ft van in March this year and I am still researching tow vehicles. Planning a small 3 day trip in June which I will use my wife's car the Ford Everest 3.2
But for the bigger trip with more load I will require a different vehicle. With the crazy pricing of the LC200 ATM I have now scrubbed that option. I have been keen on the new V6 Ranger which i think is due out maybe next year or 2023? However, I have been looking at the LC76 recently and I have developed a fair bit of interest in this vehicle. It has a GVM of 3060kg with a payload of 865kg but more importantly it has a GCM of 6560kg. So with my new van having a max ATM of 2993kg and the LC76 having a GVM of 3060kg I am well under the maximum GCM.
Reading reviews claim that they are very agricultural, noisy and offer a hard ride on the bitumen. I ask many owners of these cars the question that I am deciding between a Ranger and a LC76 and all say the LC76.
I do like the diesel V8 and I dont mind the 5 speed manual. Possibly a full sound deadening of the floor, walls and roof together with a suspension upgrade may improve the noise and the ride?
I'm interested in your thoughts / opinions....

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Crusty181 is the man for Mine Truck reviews I reckon...............................
If you haven't driven any of the Troopy range before then I would borrow one, they are real proper Dinky Di 4x4's, shift levers, proper springs, noise and they ride like a truck, spring upgrades more so, its a handraulic vehicle which no matter how much insulation or upholstery you fit it will still be a Mine Truck, absolutely bloody lovely vehicles but don't expect a magic carpet ride.. They will pull stumps, go anywhere and you may need a kidney belt at times, they are never in a hurry................. and I hear they still have the Toyota Furnace fitted so you will never freeze........ You are stepping back in time, to the glory days when FWD's were exactly that.

Comparing an LC200, Ranger, a 76 or 70 series is not possible as they belong in different stables and have nothing in common........ a good mate has a 70 dual cab which before it got plated he widened the rear axle so it matched the front and stretched the chassis to move the rear axle back 500mm along with GCM upgrade then it went and got plated, new seats and tray and lots of good gear, a lovely truck all round, they do suffer from a narrow rear track and the rear axle is too far forward but I would be happy to have one though Mrs D reckons her days of farm trucks are past, she likes her Toorak Tractor.......