Journey Tow Vehicle. Landcruiser 200 vs Ford Ranger 3.2 Vs Landrover Discovery 4 vs Landcruiser 76

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hi Guys,
I am looking at upgrading my Expanda 18 which has an ATM of 2623kg to a Journey 19 (with 600kg payload) which may have an ATM of 3000kg approx. My 2011 Triton will not be up to the task let alone be legal once both tug and van are loaded.
So therefore it will be a double upgrade.
The options are:
DISCOVERY
Currently my wife drives a Disco 3 petrol (which has had a few reliability issues with electric handbrake and the air bag suspension playing up over the years). I am planning to do a 3 month half lap next year and I am sure the Disco will be able to tow the van ok, however the petrol will be an issue.
I would love to trade up the Disco 3 to a Disco 4 TD. The trade up price is very attractive however the reliability poses an issue as well as convincing my wife. Upgrade change over price may be around $40k

FORD RANGER 3.2L DUAL CAB
Being a builder I need a dual cab for work with full canopy, rack and draw system. I have this exact set up on my Triton and it works a treat. Had the Triton since new and it has not missed a beat. My business partner drives a Ranger Wildtrack which I have driven a bit and its a brute. The power is fantastic when comparing to the Triton.
The GVM on a Ranger is 3200kg and the GCM is 6000kg. Can do an upgrade to increase GVM to 3800kg and GCM to 6800kg for around $6000.
This is a serious option as I can upgrade the work car to a Ranger XLT with a few modifications to suit with the GVM upgrade for around 60k less trade in / sale of Triton $20? Upgrade change over price around $40k

LANDCRUISER 200
Reading heaps of posts here and speaking generally to people that the Landcruiser is the ultimate 4WD travel towing vehicle.
Reports on the reliability is very attractive. BUT THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE!
I have always purchased a car with no more than 60,000 kms on the clock. For a LC that would mean a price around $70k.
Or 100,000 kms + for around $55k (but 10 years old)
I like the space in the cabin which I am sure the kids and wife will appreciate.
The GVM upgrade is cheaper than the Ranger at around $4400.
Trade in / sell our Disco 3 for around $15 and purchase LC for say $60. Change over price of $45k.
Definitely worth a consideration. However, will be buying an 8-10 year old car.

Will be interested if anyone has any of the above vehicles with their thoughts and experiences.

Cheers!

Reactions: adamsurf76

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Theres a reason 200s and landcruisers are expencive there good hands down well above anything that can boast its power if you need a ute get one ..... how much dose the ute weigh compaired to the van ? im in vic can get a lovells up grade 3900 ....
I could have brought a brand new Ltz cheaper than i paid for my cruiser with 105 thousand ks on it
Ex govenment car ....... i like Ltzs but it weighs much less than my van not ideal.....
Small motor working very hard tricked up to try to make 500 nm
Lots of times going away for weekends we dont take much going away with an empty ute didnt feel right to me ....
Rangers are good and im sure have had some issues like some 200s but in years to come i will give my cruiser to my son hes 6 now it will still be good if not resale will be very good look at the price of them with heaps of ks ...... can the same be said of any ute once over 150 thousand worth bugger all could you plan to hand it down in years to come or will it be buggered ????? Look who knows for me my 2014 GX weighing 2.7 tonne fit the bill for me 17 to 20 per 100 never drop under 100ks for any hill over take most vans not being towed a 200 yea you can have heavier days in very strong head winds but any car towing over 2.5 tonne plus the car will pay at the bowzer on strong head wind days if they dont there kidding them selves ..... its strong safe years of toyota landcruiser dominance and my kids arnt stuck in the small back seat of a ute so glad i didnt get the Ltz but i still realy like them
This is all my opinion only take it or leave it rangers are good Ltzs are good Landrovers are good but cruisers are better ..... powerfull look after them they will look after you best tow car going around is it 80 litre tank in ranger youll be at the bowzer a lot when towing 135 litres in cruiser ...... im probly going to cop it from some

Reactions: Lozza T

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Horses for courses, each vehicle is totally different but since your expecting to tow 3t then the choice is simple, go the Cruiser. A GVM upgrade only ups the suspenstion on the ranger you still need the auto sorted for about 1600 bucks and youd be working the crap out of it. GCM upgrade I thought was not possible nowadays.

Last edited:

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Horses for courses, each vehicle is totally different but since your expecting to tow 3t then the choice is simple, go the Cruiser. A GVM upgrade only ups the suspenstion on the ranger you still need the auto sorted for about 1600 bucks and youd be working the crap out of it. GCM upgrade I thought was not possible nowadays.

It seems a GCM upgrade depends on which State or Territory you live in as the article in the link explains.

"South Australia has now joined New South Wales, Victoria, the ACT and Tasmania in allowing towing upgrades and Gross Combination Mass revisions, meaning that travellers can carry more weight and tow heavier caravans legally and safely."
Their opinion of "safely" doesn't necessarily match mine.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/south-australia-now-allows-towing-upgrades-120632/

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We went from D3 Petrol as with you where looking to do a half lap and worried about D3 and Petrol.
Towing range around 350ks is not great doing 22l/100.
Old D3 we had a few problems as you said suspension, sensors, had to replace control arms etc etc..
had over 140k on clock so then you wonder strain towing etc.

Even though I love Land Rovers did not want to get a new one :)
Have 4 kids so ruled out utes, so took all the cars for a drive and ended up with a new D4 under lease in 2016
Hindsight probably should of got a 200 series although was going to cost more for the Camry interior he he :)
or worked out how to get seats in the MUX. Although at the time there was no GVM upgrade. It was super super tight at ATM 2800
If you go MUX you have to do GVM and do your sums also 55lt tank.

Over 4 years Disco lost a lot of cash compared to a 200 or MUX..
Been a good car avg 16-20's towing.
Although each service they found a small oil leak.. We see tomorrow if that continues
Lease up in a few months so working out what we do
Not had anything go wrong and here less problems with the last gen D4. 3.0/8 speed.
Either we keep it or maybe trade in on a MUX with GVM upgrade. or probably wait for next gen MUX later this year.
Tomorrow be D day for it :)

It is a hard choice.. Depends what the wife wants :)
If you need to a new rig or she does.

With the D4 our GCM is great van 2780 so have 720kg to play with.
Although GVM gets real tight. Payload 745k gets eaten quickly by bullbar , 260-270kg TBM and 4 kids etc we pretty close.
Not sure what your loading so do your sums on the D4.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
I have recentl;y ordered a new LC200 to upgrade from my Prado. My plan is to use salary sacrifice (car Lease) - not much Tax Benefit, however it allows me to use part of pre-tax $ and I can pay the majority off within 3-years; ballon payment is around 40% of new price which is manageable with the $ I will get for a 2103 Prado with only 80K Kms. This saves me forking out for a new car and a new van when I retire and do the big lap in very slow time. I have not selected a new van yet but the LC200 gives me a huge option to pick from and staying legal in all aspects.

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks @KECL for your advice. I may look into that option with accountant. But I will still check out the used car market.
Saw a VX last Friday at a dealer. 2013 model with 118,000kms. The dealer basically pushed me to take the vehicle home for the weekend to show my wife. Looked a bit tired inside, had a strong mold odour (that my wife could smell from the living room). Front and rear carpets had stains and a bit of wear.
IMG_20200216_124726.861.jpg
First time driving a LC200 and initial thoughts it is a beast. Surprisingly it has some serious get up and go when you push the pedal. It is a nice comfy ride, which handles bumps very well (a big tick from the family).
Plenty of room in the back seat and most importantly, my wife could recline the front passenger seat for a nap without affecting the kids in the back seat (tick).

Fuel consumption.
Around town, short trips the consumption was around the 15L/100kms.
An hour trip down the peninsula which was mainly freeway achieved 10L/100kms.
What would be the average consumption pulling a 2.8 tonne van achieve?

The concerns I have with this particular car are -

The mold odour. Can this be removed? Steam clean? Is it worth replacing the carpet to the passenger and drivers side?
The rust to all the wheel hubs? Is this normal for 4WD cars? Should I be concerned? Can I easily remove the rust and treat the hubs with some anti rust paint?

IMG_20200215_202549.141.jpgIMG_20200215_202607.617.jpg

It has a 7 pin plug. I am almost certain the car was used to tow a large van. I thought you had to have a 12 pin plug to tow?
IMG_20200215_202624.054.jpg

Dealer said it does not have electric brake control. However there seems to be a control to the right of the drivers side that looks like the Redarc knob.
IMG_20200215_202943.545.jpgIMG_20200215_202947.383.jpg

There is a cable that is dangling under the drivers position. Would that be for a CB?
IMG_20200215_202827.964.jpgIMG_20200215_202835.750.jpg

Roof top brackets. Looks like a rack has been removed from the roof as well as the original rails. Its been presented a bit untidy I think. I am assuming if I go to a 4WD place that a suitable light weight rack could be installed using these supports?
IMG_20200215_203018.874.jpgIMG_20200215_203022.559.jpg

The car drives "a little heavy" at times. Its like you really need to push the pedal from stand still for the car to move and at the same time makes a lot of engine noise. Seems like you are driving the truck which I am not sure my wife will get used to.
All in all a reasonable car but lacks a little refinement especially with the money they are asking for it.

I may also test drive a D4 diesel just to compare the drive and experience. My wife did drive the LC and said it was fine but she said it did seem like she was driving an 80's small truck. Verdict from my wife was that she preferred her 2008D3 petrol Disco.

A D4 would save me at least $20k which is a big tick from my end. However, I will still check out a few more LC's and see who is willing to give me a super deal and go from there.

I have attached various pictures. Any comments would be very appreciative.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20200215_163655.jpg
    20200215_163655.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 367

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Water smell could be a window left down at dealer or something simple.
Although could be something worse.
Checked underneath if any rust? Had a look at under seat any rust on bolts etc?
Can you find out history. Not sure they used the VX for ex mine although maybe supervisor.
As photos above seems like a lot of red dirt, could just been used offroad "shock horror" he he.
Although do worry if ex mine.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Water smell could be a window left down at dealer or something simple.
Although could be something worse.
Checked underneath if any rust? Had a look at under seat any rust on bolts etc?
Can you find out history. Not sure they used the VX for ex mine although maybe supervisor.
As photos above seems like a lot of red dirt, could just been used offroad "shock horror" he he.
Although do worry if ex mine.

Could have been caught in floods is it from another state ?

Reactions: davemc

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Mine gets 17 to 20 towing our van but all drivers are diffrent i rarely drop under 110 or 100 on freeways the car you bye should be smick dosnt matter if a few years old if dealer carnt get it good then its not worth getting it from them how can you get any warrenty sorted if they carnt evan clean the car rip the plastic trims off at bottom of the doors and feel under carpet if wet run away come take mine for a cruise it dosnt smell theres plenty around no rush evan if a car has spent time out bush eg a mine car dose that mean its no good ?????? I think not they service them not all driver are penuts most are in the citys whats better a car spent a good part of its life pottering around town or going 100ks like it should
Dosent matter where you bye it full histroy of it and service histroy get any cars vin number and ring toyota with it they can tell you where it was brought new its last service and if its missed any if not in the book i found out everthing about my car through them evan spoke to the driver who had it after a lot of calls

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Check out state roads for vehicle checks there the best dont do racv or anyone else State roads are the bees knees they evan measure paint thickness if its been fixed they will tell you
Screenshot_20200217-222740.png

Reactions: Lozza T and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wet carpet with stains, window or AC drain leak into cab big pain and carpet would need to be dried out fully, it may be rotten underneath.
Rust on hubs/disc normal for vehicles sitting around.
Yes, its a CB aerial lead so may be a 12v cable there as well.
Yes, Redarc brake controller have to check if the knob connects to anything though.
No need for 12 pin to tow van, it has a 7 with an anderson which is better set up than 12 pin.
Rack removed certainly, idea to look at other Cruisers to see if you can ID the mounts.
Look underneath for nicks and bangs that are substantial other than just the odd knock, see if floor bungs removed, look for leaks around shocks and hubs.

As @Bluey said a good vehicle check but the water leak with such a tide line would be a worry for me, gut feel is let it pass.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Water can leak through roof rack bolts too when installed they need to be sealed up with a matsic kind of sealent

Reactions: Drover