17' Series Tow drop shank

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Just wondering if anyone can help...I have a 17ft expanda and the tow car is a 200 Landcruiser....The tow hitch was fine for the old car but now I have the Landcruiser the van sits to high at the front... my tow drop shank has the part number is 50150 which is the std height.... Has anyone that owned a Landcruiser had to change to a longer tow shank to level their van as I have no more holes to make it lower....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depending on how much extra you need but I would be looking at a 50mm block for the van tow hitch, its legal , having a long plough shank hanging down from the Cruiser is not ideal and defeats the whole purpose of having an Outback.............
Get your tape measure out, on flat ground measure Cruisers ball height then with van level measure to similar point on vans tow hitch, ideally tug should be about 25mm higher than van, (if its the same height it will be too low when hooked up) work out what the difference is and that will give you the extra height you will need which pertains to your set up, no 2 set ups are alike............ then you can look at a block to lift your van hitch, much cheaper and much better or you can go for a drop shank which will give you the height you need they come in various lengths, they aren't vehicle specific but you need to know the depth of your housing on tow bar as some are open and some are blocked off, Hayman Reese have a wide selection .

Myself I would go for the van hitch lift block ......... I assume you have a draw bar which has the hitch mounted basically at the bottom of the bar, a stupid idea for an Outback and more suited to towing with a car...... some even weld a new mounting plate on top and fit the hitch...........

Reactions: Four of us

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
This is what the van and tug looks like now on level ground..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 205

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I did. The previous one dropped it ok for the patrol, and even thought same tyres and lift is on the cruiser, it was too high. I got this one from jayco.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: Four of us

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yep i got same as above you can get them many places google drop down hitch shank you should find them

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Do the measure bit first whatever way you go or you will just be guessing and you certainly don't want a shank thats too long or you end up with other problems, a new shank will be upwards of about $180 depends on the length you need, some heavy suckers as well and a block under $100...