16' Series Tow all mass

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
I have just checked The plate reading on the panda for tow ball mass read at 130kg then tested Weight using tow ball scale reading 160kgs having nothing in the van other than what came from the factory this is a worry. Is this anything to be concerned about. Also drained the water tank.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not really, most of us would be surprised if anything on the plate is correct. The ideal, well the base line is 10% of ATM but that is just a figure folks use, when you have all your junk inside being 20 kg either side is okay, if your van is 2t then 180 to 210 kg probably......Big Mal loaded up is roughly around the 2.6t had a 225kg ball but adding an extra battery moved it to 245kg, add some more if I fill both tanks.... a good test for checking weight movement is jerry cans of water placed in various spots to simulate loading, 20lts/20kg... works well no mess or stuffing around....those ball weight devices need to be set up just right to get a near correct figure, they can be wrong very easily.

On the plate ignore the tare weight it will be wrong the figures that you need to comply with is the ATM (total van weight wheels and jockey) GTM ( weight on the wheels) if when hooked up the GTM of van and GVM of tug is more than the GCM of tug then you are in trouble (POO) ....:Cry:........

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Not really, most of us would be surprised if anything on the plate is correct. The ideal, well the base line is 10% of ATM but that is just a figure folks use, when you have all your junk inside being 20 kg either side is okay, if your van is 2t then 180 to 210 kg probably......Big Mal loaded up is roughly around the 2.6t had a 225kg ball but adding an extra battery moved it to 245kg, add some more if I fill both tanks.... a good test for checking weight movement is jerry cans of water placed in various spots to simulate loading, 20lts/20kg... works well no mess or stuffing around....those ball weight devices need to be set up just right to get a near correct figure, they can be wrong very easily.

On the plate ignore the tare weight it will be wrong the figures that you need to comply with is the ATM (total van weight wheels and jockey) GTM ( weight on the wheels) if when hooked up the GTM of van and GVM of tug is more than the GCM of tug then you are in trouble (POO) ....:Cry:........
Thanks drover
If my maths are correct I'm well in with the weight. What is annoying is why would Jayco given their prominence in the market,stamp misleading information on their compliance plate, surely customer safety should be top of the list. I know I'm being naive.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a search for compliance plate on here, there was even a thread where folks posted pics of their plates, some even had the wrong tyre size, they build a van weigh it then use that as the template for all the rest (I assume) but add extra panel, tank, bunk etc just throws things out also I think they might just use an algorithim to guestimate some weights........... like your tug the plates are "self regulated" so open to errors................... they are all the same.

Reactions: Bluey

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Have a search for compliance plate on here, there was even a thread where folks posted pics of their plates, some even had the wrong tyre size, they build a van weigh it then use that as the template for all the rest (I assume) but add extra panel, tank, bunk etc just throws things out also I think they might just use an algorithim to guestimate some weights........... like your tug the plates are "self regulated" so open to errors................... they are all the same.
Thanks again drover I think it will be a trip to the weigh bridge for us

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yep what @Drover said

Jayco let me drive out of there dealership after telling them many times i only have a prado lets just say the 2014 1756=2 outback was very much overweight evan though they made the plates match the car ball weight van weight both too much for the car
I now have a cruiser

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Yep what @Drover said

Jayco let me drive out of there dealership after telling them many times i only have a prado lets just say the 2014 1756=2 outback was very much overweight evan though they made the plates match the car ball weight van weight both too much for the car
I now have a cruiser
Hi guy's I think if the manufacturer was fined if their vans didn't match their compliance we would see more vans that did . Also a refusal to register the van until it complies would help. Anyone caught outside the compliance would only have themselves to blame. Anyway that's my rant have a good evening.

CarlDry

Jan 5, 2019
Bundaberg
Your 30kg extra ball weight is most probably the spare tyre and LPG tanks, which are added after they do the compliance plate cause they are not part of the van in there world.

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Your 30kg extra ball weight is most probably the spare tyre and LPG tanks, which are added after they do the compliance plate cause they are not part of the van in there world.
Thanks carldry
Should be ok if we stay in WA and hope the heavy's don't get me lol