Touring NZ in 2011 Grand Cherokee.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Just back from 3 months touring NZ . Bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland diesel.some NZ costs. car rego $160.00, comprehensive insurance $410.00 inc screen breakage.diesel ranged from $1.15 to 1.66 plus diesel road user charge $359.00 per 5000ks. North Island roads getting much like Aust roads worn out and bumpy which is taking a toll on the lightweight english vans. Jayco seem to be making a big push,quite a few on the roads.South Island has fantastic sealed roads ,plus plenty of great unsealed /off road areas to explore.Chinese drivers causing huge problems,driving on the wrong side of road,stopping on bends ,passing on bends.Stayed in Air BB ,camping ground cabins,and motels.Motels very expensive,. Would have liked a camper trailer.Did 9700ks in the Grand Cherokee with no problems great touring and off road vehicle..(Had Jeeps for 25 years, a little biased.!)Ford Rangers outsell Toyota utes by about two to one. Colorados distant third.Came back to Yamba and getting the 2010 Grand Cherokee diesel,and Jayco 16 footJourney Outback offroad ready for a trip ,up to GlenInnes gemfest in around three weeks.Hope its cooled down by then.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Goodness me that road user charge would break me, $359 per 1000kms or should that be 10,000ks ?????
I would so love to travel the South Island, there's a train ride I would like to do.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Sorry guys $350 per 5000 ks. .Pay up front at AA shops NZ Post etc.Three good train rides in South Island Christchurch to Blenhiem along east coast .Christchurch to Greymouth through Alps.Dunedin through Taieri Gorge which we did last year.Plus a number of steam train trips.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thems the Choo Choo's, most of NZ rail runs have great vistas..........So if that $$ rate applied here that would stick me 2 grand, yikes, let's hope our pollies don't get wind....
You do know what's missing @BJM.....piccies....

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
My ex boos who is Chinese had the head office in Auckland, he disconnected the speedo on all his cars. I used to take his Pajero whenever we were ther it had all sorts of warning light on because of no speedo he didn’t care

Reactions: Drover