Starcraft Tool Box Setup

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
So I decided I get the toolbox done..
We have a standard drawbar although I moved the wheel to rear when it was built.

I have been looking here and elsewhere decided I will do one like @CrazyMOBB so leave the bottles on the side. Thanks mate for the nice pics.. I probably swap it to top opening as Starcraft.
image-jpg.jpg

So a few questions.
1) Do I keep the stone guard on there as well.. Just measured probably be able to keep both. be tight
2) Gas.. Do I see if the cooper reaches. Or do I just replace it?
3) Regulator do I squish it back against the van or attach to the back of the box?
4) What have people been putting under the box?
Rubber or marine ply?
5) do you connect with U bolts or bolt through where the old Gas bottles where?

thanks guys.. Went to a local place if I get one 1100 or 1000 so fits the Weber Q200 he thinks around $500
Which I do not think is bad.

Reactions: CrazyMOBB

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@davemc I bolted my 16.49 one through the gas bottle mount with a 300*70 ish gal plate inside the box which I got from Bunnings. Basically sandwiching the tool box.

Yesterday I took delivery of the new tool box ftom QLD for the 20.63, and was going to mount it on 3/4 formply, but my son whos a Boilermaker suggested I may be an over cautious dh and not to bother. No need according to him, put a bit of 8mm inside if it makes me feel better was his suggestion

(What would he know, its a box not a boiler anyways)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@davemc I mounted mine similar to @Crusty181 through the original gas bottle angle irons but used a strip of ali flatbar inside the box. Added flat plates, galv angle and bolts toward the front (Similar to a U-bolt).

Img_0340_Resized.jpg
Can see the angle and bolts here.

Was going to fit 6mm rubber between it and the drawbar but had it mounted before I remembered... So left it as is and no probs as yet.

Fitted the reg inside the box and replaced the copper with braided stainless hoses.

Img_0304_Resized.jpg
Reg fitted inside.

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
thanks @dagree
Did you put vents in the box? Thinking that cheap masters box would look ok dark grey against the black.
Would have to silicone the inside as I gather it leak :) It is only for the weber, gas bottles and maybe put the hoses in there.
So drill a few holes on the bottom to let any water out should be fine.

Unless a van comes up thats works for 4 kids we will keep the Starcraft. We cannot find another van without a compromise.. Most will be $15-$20k more. Started getting up to 23-25" vans.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
No probs @davemc
Yes fitted 6 vents with flyscreen mesh behind all up. 2 small ones behind the bottles down low.... 2 small and 2 medium ones either end and drilled 2 x 25mm holes in the floor (Back corners) and fitted vents to allow for gas/water drainage.

LPG Storage Sticker.jpg

You'll be surprised what will fit in a 1500mm box!!!!!! Glad I didn't get any bigger o_O

Reactions: bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Weber is 80x50x40 for the Q200.. I was originally thinking instead of putting the bottles outside and do something like above.
Although 1500x70x50 fit everything in plus more crap :)
Could then put annex in rear hatch.. Leave under the bed almost free..

Was thinking of putting a hatch under the bunk as well.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Where do we end ????????

Was about to say "Be careful fitting a 700mm high box on the front!!!!" but then remembered it's going on the starcraft 8-)
Our 1500w x 600d x 500h stores the 2 x 9kg bottles, Q100 weber, small gas cooker, small gas heater, weber accessories, annex walls, toilet chemicals, straps and things I can't remember!!

Reactions: bigcol and davemc

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have the same box as @dagree
and only fitted 1 gas bottle (thats all that was on mine) I have awnings and ropes and wood for stabilizers
as well as any thing else that will fit

I cut 2 long holes to match the Gas Bottle holder, and fitted that through the box - so on that side, it has the weight of the Gas bottle, and some screws holding it down
and screws on the other side...... down the center of the draw bar..... 3 screws each side

I also forgot to fit the bits of rubber I had cut to suit under the box on the Draw Bar - maybe one day

also have the Vents and holds as per Davids as well

Reactions: dagree and davemc

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Easy enough to move it back a 100 or so mm's or extend the hose and move forward of the box
We use ours quite a bit (Hosing grand-kids down after a trip to the beach) so fit a spring/recoil style hose and nozzle... Connect up and leave the tap turned on so no need to reach the tap each time.

Reactions: bigcol and davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
so went to get a box.
Sarah likes this one as we can store more and no expanda bed so can go higher 1180x53x80. Although have to get rid of the stone guard? if we put the Gas bottles on the side its like $600 more to build the support frame.
So don't know maybe get one bigger and put bottles inside 1700 only $200 more instead of $600..
fid11.jpg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I always say "go for the biggest you can afford"

putting the Gas bottles inside is a good safety thing as well - a bit of protection
just make sure you visit the big green shed and get some vents and put them in........
they need to be down low, as the gas is heavier than air