Tool Box on A Frame.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I have noticed a lot of vans shown on this forum have a tool box on the A frame. When we get our new StarCraft Outback caravan I am thinking of doing some thing similar.

My question is does the addition of a box (and the stuff it will carry) add much weight to the A frame and the tow ball weight?? Does it effect the towability of the van??

Would appreciate your comments.

Regards
Peter.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
@Dove I have just completed my front box this week. Will be posting photos in the next day of so. My DB weight came from the factory was 136kg. Personally i think this is a bit light for the size of the van. While i do not know what weight i have now, i did note the following when i attached this time.

I drive a 100 cruiser, with heaver springs and airbags. I used to tow a hard floor camper with a DB weight of 220kg, the used to drop about 40mm and i would bring it back up with airbags.

With this van, 2 months old i used to get no drop at all (original). I was surprised. With the box fitted & loaded, and the gas bottles moved forward the car dropped about 25mm. I think i have probably got about 170 on the DB. I will weigh it when done. I made quite a large box, better to have a big box and half fill it, than a small box and have to leave stuff behind. As i have spare capacity in DB weight.

I guess it is what you want to do and are comfortable with. Most medium size 4WD can take 200 DB weight. Within reason the more weight on the DB the less the sway and when towing, therefore the better they tow. Loaded with restraint, a additional front box would be fine.

Good luck,
Tim

Reactions: blacky

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Gee a bit of an open question, how big were you thinking, how thick the sheet metal, on an extended frame or just standard?
It will add weight, but it depends on what you store in it.
You can also move something to the back of the van to offset. A tyre perhaps...
For mine, I moved the tyre to the back. But I wonder if it would have made any difference because my van is a tandem axle and I have a feeling the weight is balanced well over the wheels anyway.

In terms of towability, if you balance the weight then it shouldn't make a huge difference at all.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
From what I've seen the Starcraft drawbars are very short. You can't order an extended bar, so there isn't much real estate to play with.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
You can get an extended A-frame on the starcraft on the latest one anyway, ordered one on ours. Just remember the toolbox is part of your payload and so is anything you put in it.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
We have an extende draw bar, the tool box if very thin as well, we don't carry much extra weight in the box, hoses, leads, plastic levelers etc. We have not carried the gennie yet but thats only about 20KG, the spare is still under the box but a lot further back so I recon it won't make a hell of a difference. I must admit I have been slack and have never weighed it either, probably will eventually.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Our new van is sitting at the Dealer awaiting pre delivery checks etc. We purchased it new a week ago off the lot so I can't make any alterations. Its a Jayco Starcraft 16.51 Outback caravan.

For material I was thinking of aluminium plate. Contents would be light stuff such as hoses, electrical leads, wheel chocks etc. The stuff you need to grab every time you set up camp. The spare wheel is already on the rear.

Having seen what some of you are doing a front box seemed like a good idea. Until I get the van home I can't do much planning. Trying to get ideas and concepts together. The short draw bar might be the stopper.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
@Dove the material used on the sides is called "propeller plate" it only come in thickness to 1.6mm ( not very think) but it would be heaps for what you are talking about.

Most of the standard off the shelf tool boxes are "tread plate" comes in loads of thickness normally 3mm. So they are heavier to start with.

Just outlining your material options.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
If the draw bar is short, then perhaps look at a box that follows the contour of the a frame to not compromise any of your available turning circle.