Chassis Tool Box Mounting

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
Hi All

Trying to get a few ideas with mounting a toolbox on the drawbar of the Starcraft.
The toolbox is about 1600mm long x 550mm wide and is going on top of the factory gas bottle mounts and with the extended drawbar their is a bit of a span between the two mounts.

Looking at putting a support under the toolbox and thinking either -
a) 2x pieces of 75mm flatbar the length of the box or
b) a single piece of 12mm marine ply

Any thoughts??

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
I do not have the extended draw bar so the span might be a little less but I did put 25mm square aluminium tube under the centre of the box to give it a little bit more support. I do not intend to put a huge amount of weight in the toolbox, carry things like bike helmets, tennis rackets, balls and other light weight bulky items. The more weight that gets put in the toolbox the greater the ball weight. Something to keep in mind.

Reactions: bigcol

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
I did neither underneath but did put a bit of 12mm ply inside the box were the gen set sits.

Cheers mate

The more weight that gets put in the toolbox the greater the ball weight. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks for that. I've shifted the spare wheel from the Aframe to the rear bar so hopefully have counter weighted the box. Just needing some room for the weber and hoses etc.

Reactions: bigcol

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
I used 12mm marine ply underneath the box for more strength and also to provide a buffer between the Ali box and 'A' frame. I have to put a small piece of angle along the front edge as it is just starting to separate at the front.