Solar TomKat's adventure into the black magic of solar

TomKat121111

Nov 30, 2022
Dunedin, NZ
I know there are lots of threads about solar installs. But I want to gloat about a bargain I'm picking up this afternoon. 280w panel, mppt charger and install kit for $450 kiwi fun bucks. Will add photos soon

Question: do I just Sika the brackets to the Expanda roof or should I screw them down? If screwing how thick is the ceiling?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I prefer to use marine adhesive, a Sika usually with a couple of small screws (10mm depends on your bracket thickness) used to mainly hold position, screwed in firmly but not super tight as roof material is not usually much chop and you want room for the adhesive to bond properly ..... allow at least 50mm between panel and roof to for air flow, too hot and you loose power.............. thats how I have done them and they haven't blown off...

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I prefer to use marine adhesive, a Sika usually with a couple of small screws (10mm depends on your bracket thickness) used to mainly hold position, screwed in firmly but not super tight as roof material is not usually much chop and you want room for the adhesive to bond properly ..... allow at least 50mm between panel and roof to for air flow, too hot and you loose power.............. thats how I have done them and they haven't blown off...
Approx half a percent for every 1C above 25C @Drover. So if panel cells are at 55C (they easily get to that on a hot day!!), you can expect to lose approx 15% of output power before other losses in wiring and connections. Something a lot of people do not realize.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now your doing maths, you know my eyes roll to back of head when I need an abacus................... on a hot day mine will burn your hand and thats even just leaning against the shed...................

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Now your doing maths, you know my eyes roll to back of head when I need an abacus................... on a hot day mine will burn your hand and thats even just leaning against the shed...................
Time to throw some water over panel!! One advantage of portable panels as they have lots of air space behind the panel and any slight breeze will keep cell temps down. Helps counter some of the disadvantages of portable panels. Same heat affects the light weight portable folding panels, hence always better propped up and not lying flat on ground or across metal car body or windscreens.

TomKat121111

Nov 30, 2022
Dunedin, NZ
Install is done!
I used a pushrod to run the cable behind the wardrobe (where all the Jayco wiring is run)
20230129_203158.jpg
20230129_203316.jpg

Reactions: Hitting the road