toilet storage

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi All
I was looking on the net the other day trying to find out a little more about toilet prep for short/medium term storage.

How does one clean the tank thoroughly and are any chemical needed to treat after cleaning?

Do I need to use the purple waste tank cleaner after every trip? Should it sit in the tank whilst in storage?

I also saw a tip on youtube where the tech said not to agitate too much when cleaning as it can damage the flimsy float valve.

Any tips are welcome

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have a chemical that I put into the tank after it has been emptied. I can't remember the brand. But once I have put that in I replace the tank and it stays that way till we use the van next time.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I just rinse ours well leave the valve open for a few days (usually put cassette in garage) to dry out. No problems though it's never sat still for more than 2 months.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey I am a bit confused now about what you all are talking about.
I have only ever maintained the cassette. As in emptied it out and replaced a chemical.
What part of the toilet are you guys talking about? What part has a blade? Which valve?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Brad, did you get a booklet with your cassette toilet? Page 2 "Cleaning and Maintenance" spells out Thetford's recommendations and there's a diagram inside the back foldout cover. The blade I referred to, is actually rubber blade seal. The mechanism including the pressure relief vent and float in the middle of the cassette can be removed for proper cleaning. If you haven't got a copy, probably find on www.thetford.eu, else pm and I'll copy for you.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Ahh yes the instructions.....if all else fails read the book...I'll have a read myself! :)

Cheers.