17' Series Toilet issues..

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Hi all, I know there have been a few issues and post on here about toilet pumps not working..., and I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas.....my issue is my pump works when I bench test it....but doesn’t work when the pump is connected to the toilet panel..I bought a new panel today and fitted it but the pump still didn’t work...I tested the wires into the toilet panel...red and white wires read 12.3v but when I press the blue button on the panel I’m only getting 2,3v on the blue and brown wires going to the pump...has anyone got any ideas on why...I’m no electrician...I have changed the fuse from 3amps to 7.5 but still no improvements...any ideas??????.. Thanks...

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
you might have a large voltage drop along the cable from your battery to the pump. This will be because the wiring is not heavy enough to carry the current that the pump requires.

Connect your multi-meter across the 12V wires into the toilet. Measure the voltage. Now with the meter still connected, press the blue button. What is the voltage when the button is pressed?

take care
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Crushed wire or moisture has got in and the copper is rotten inside, as Mike said to test and try a jumper wire to see if it works before you replace wiring.

Reactions: Four of us

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
i am also not a sparky, but during our last trip flush/pump started to play up slow/fast, work sometimes, traced it to a partially broken and corroded wire at the blackwater tank isolation switch,(think it is called a reed switch) the one that will not allow the pump to work when the tank is not in place. probably talking to someone who knows how it works, but the top of the tank has the small blade that activates the switch ,best of luck tracing the issue, took me two days to find it and 10 min to solder in a new piece of wire

Reactions: Four of us

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Hi,
you might have a large voltage drop along the cable from your battery to the pump. This will be because the wiring is not heavy enough to carry the current that the pump requires.

Connect your multi-meter across the 12V wires into the toilet. Measure the voltage. Now with the meter still connected, press the blue button. What is the voltage when the button is pressed?

take care
Mike
I tested the wire and got 12.3 volts even when I pressed the blue button..

Reactions: mikerezny

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Crushed wire or moisture has got in and the copper is rotten inside, as Mike said to test and try a jumper wire to see if it works before you replace wiring.
Funny you say about the wire....it doesn’t look like copper any more...I’m going to try the jumper wire tomorrow on a clean piece of wire and see if that works...otherwise it’s booked into a service guy on Wednesday...

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks for letting us know the problem was rectified...... Often its a very simple thing, a workshop possibly would have fitted a new pump and wiring harness.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Update......You guys are bloody legends....the wires had corroded over...stripped the wires back joined it all up and what do you know....it worked.....never knew about the saftety cut off if the tank isn’t installed....Again big thanks to all...

@Four of us , that is one of the advantages of being on this forum. There is so much experience on all subjects because a lot of us have already experienced or know someone who has had the same problem. Highly unlikely that someone on this wonderful forum would not know the answers to most problems raised. And we are a very friendly mob as you have found out. Glad to have you with us. Stay safe.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
@Four of us (actually five now) has been with the forum for many rears, he and I had a meet at Lake Dyer quite a few years back. Good to hear you are still travelling, mate.
Hi Paul,
Yes it is 5 now...lol...Lake Dyer was quite a few years ago now on a group meet I tried to organise but it didn’t work out...once everything gets back to some sort of normal we will have to have to try for another group meet somewhere....Still travelling even better now I have a toilet that flushes thanks to some help from some forum members and save a few $$$$$$. But that’s what we’re all for..

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Four of us (actually five now) has been with the forum for many rears, he and I had a meet at Lake Dyer quite a few years back. Good to hear you are still travelling, mate.

I went to a meet there many moons back, have no idea who was there but only a few managed, I think the Tardis was carrying its war wounds then after the grain truck kissed it......