To WDH or not...

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Ro

Looks to have the same clearance as mine by my guess. My Tow bar socket must be a little lower than yours to start with as I could get away with the standard hitch rather than the drop down unit. The result is much the same in regards to clearance though. We needed to fit the same HR WDH as you in order to get everything level.
IMG_0213.JPG

Kev

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
AJC,

I have already made an appointment with the local heavy engineering firm to look at welding a new plate and lifting the hitch as you have noted.

Buying a 4wd, an Outback version van for height and then having the hitch so low is simply ridiculous!

Ro

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
Hi guys,
I have thought exactly the same thing. 4wd with outback van and dragging ass over any small bump in the road. It doesnt make sense why they dont oversling their outback vans. I have seen somewhere on this site about a raising the ball hitch on the caravan with a steel block. It comes with the right length bolts to suit and looked to be a very simple job. It was on the net and came as a kit for around $100. Might be easier and allows you to change it back upon resale if needed.
Rohan

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Rohan,

I have seen these and they raise the hitch point by 50mm.

If I get a new plate welded on the top of the OB drawbar, this will lift the hitch point (and the plough) by about 125mm!

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
Hey guys, has anyone been told any different (to that below) for WDHs and their use with 4WD that have Self Leveling Suspension.
I spoke with some reps from HR at the Caravan and Camping show, and they advised that they are not required and shouldn't be fitted. At least they were honest with me.
When I picked up the Caravan, (17-56.2 OB) the guys at Prestige Jayco wouldn't put the WDH on, as it didn't need it. I initially just thought they had to be fitted.

As far as the PRADO Kakadu goes, it really doesn't notice when the Caravan is attached, ie front and back stay at the same height. (although certainly know it in the fuel used). You hear the air compressor kick in, and the ride stays level.

Has anyone fitted WDH to the Prado Kakadu? I've done almost 10,000KM with the Caravan and haven't had any issues without them. I'm open to suggestions though.

Cheers, Glenn

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
self leveling susp is fine by itself. WDHs are designed to help level the vehicle by redistributing the weight back to the front wheels also. Putting a wdh will fight with the suspension and eventually damage it. If you are happy that the vehicle is level when hitched, the suspension is doing its job

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We have self-leveling hydraulic suspension with active-height control and comfort control and air-bags.

The air-bags are used to compensate for the Black Widow draw system, fridge slide, Engle fridge and Thumper system.

This keeps the car at standard ride height.

The Weight distribution hitch supports the weight of the van.

Our cars handbook states that WDH is required if towball weight more than 120kg. If you are right on your max towball weight (350kg for our car) the active night control will not work and a load assist device (such as airbags) is required.

Check your handbook