To Hire Or Not To Hire !!

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Hi All !

We are looking at upgrading the Swan for a 16 ft Expanda in the next few months

Is it worth while hiring one out before spending a fair chunk of money and realising there's not that much between the two? Anyone do this before they took the plunge

ie. - we will be trying to compare the differencies in sleeping, room around the van for us and 3 kids, towing, ease of setup etc

I'm pretty much sold on buying straight out but like what you do before spending $k's on a new car you get at least a 1 hour so to drive - be nice to have demo van that they rent out and they take that off your price if you decide to buy !! :)

Cheers

Paul

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Paul

I was in the same position as you,thinking about upgrading from a Dove O/B to a expanda.We also thought about hiring first, but after seeing a expanda pack up next to us during the last easter break by simply closing the bed end,dropping the roof,letting the roll out awning go back ,hitching up and driving off, all while I'm pulling the poles out of the bed flys and annex.We had a new expanda 14.44.4 on order within a week of getting home.We did shop around a couple of dealers for price and saved a fair bit.We new what we wanted and did everything over the phone and email.

Cheers
Dave

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yes, we thought about hiring but that is pretty expensive as well.
We just spoke to everyone we saw who had an expanda when camping and they all raved about them

Just get it...

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I think the usual step is to go from swan etc to expanda or similar. We were set on the swan until my wife saw the expanda!! People I have spoken to have said along the lines of smart move as you have gone straight to expanda. I would think that if you liked the swan then you will love the expanda, it just depends on what floorplan and size suits you. Our plan is to try the 16-49-4 for a couple of years then upgrade to 17 later as the kids get bigger. If you don't like your expanda and look after it and don't get ripped off on the original purchase then you wont loose much anyway. I had a friend who bought one for 32k and traded it two years later for 33k.

Geoff