Throw Away Gas Cylinder storage...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While camping we have started to use the little single burner disposable gas cookers, the $20 jobs, great for just boiling the billy or a couple of Cackles and a banger in a pan, the Weber stays at home now..................... My issue since moving from the Colorado Camping Truck to the Jeeperific Yuppy Wagon is space, so where to safely stow these little gas bottles safely, doesn't take much to turn them into a bomb or at least a flame thrower, stubby holders and a 6 pack esky keeps them safe but I bought a bundle on special at Bunnings, and while my 6 pack holds them nicely the ones that are for ready use, nice and handy so no digging around have found a new home, a tube just like a Mortar Round case a Pringles Chip tube, add a bit of foam at bottom and top insert the gas cylinder and its at least protected more than it was....................

20200715_095629_Burst01.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Im still a huge fan of the petrol stoves which i still use camping. Those chuckaway stoves truly frighten me and petrol is such a safe practical and versatile energy source for camping feeding stoves, light (retired now) genset, chainsaw etc

The little single burner still gets a fair workout even when we're in the van, full tank 500ml will last me a week rough camping. Even with the big stove, 500va genset and chainsaw a 5 litre jerry lasts forever.

0035480_2-burner-dual-fuel-powerhouse-stove.jpeg.jpg0020175_guide-series-compact-dual-fuel-stove.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not wrong about being cautious of them, I'm cautious of the petrol jobs as well as the gas can one's........have seen the odd fuel stove burst into flames, of course both units are as safe as houses just the operator thats the problem..... I remember the old metho stoves, now they could burn a camp site down fast, great fun as a kid.

Reactions: Crusty181

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I have two disposable gas cylinder type stoves, I actually threw my old two away when the recall happened I was actually working for a retailer that sold tens of thousands of them with almost zero claims. I cook outside almost exclusively and stow the stoves in the tunnel boot and cylinders in a cupboard inside and have done in all three vans now. My motto is I go on holiday to see the outdoors not indoors but I guess living in Queensland it’s a lot easier to do.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
i have always had one of those little butane burners in our camping kit. i keep the bottles in one of those RC fire retardant bags separate from the stove though. my theory is - if the bags work on lithium batteries, surely they will work on the small gas bottles.

one time we where camped up at double island point next to a couple of backpackers in their hired car/van. the only time i have ever had to use our fire extinguisher in any caravan, was to put out a their fire that was caused from a faulty gas cooker, which luckily enough didn't take their whole car/van at the same time. was quietly shitting myself too - waiting for the bugger to explode, luckily enough it didn't.