Thought's on removing microwave

Johnstons

Aug 10, 2012
Anywhere in the great outdoors
Hi Guys, we are thinking of removing our microwave before we head around Australia as we will be mainly free camping and feel that there is no real need to cook with it. That space could be better used as a cupboard for storage, maybe everyday items eg.cereal, bread, biscuit etc.

Just wondering what other people that have travelled alot, whether it's free camping or not, think about the idea.

I saw that someone had put a drawer I think in there, has anyone out else done any mods to this area?

Cheers

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We chose to not have a microwave in our an and have a cupboard there instead. In previous vans we only used the microwave occasionally and in the 3 years prior to buying the Expanda, when we were bush camping, we didn't use one at all. It is personal preference though.

:tea: Cracka

Reactions: Johnstons

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We have a cupboard door on ours, it fits two baskets in it for our 2 daughter's clothes. Our opening in above the fridge in the 16.49-3.

Johnstons

Aug 10, 2012
Anywhere in the great outdoors
Thanks heaps Crackacoldie.

What did you use for the doors? Jayco wood?

Do the doors get in the way being that they are at head 'bumping' height?

If you get a chance can you post a photo please? We have a 16.49.1 so same spot.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Was busy looking on another thread to see if I had a photo. Yes ours is jayco wood as the microwave was actually removed by the previous owner, who was very fastidious. Will shoot out and grab a quick happy snap for you, as i fly out to WA in the morning.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
A couple of photos for you Johnstons
image.jpg

image.jpg

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We too used our microwave to store bread (and bananas) while travelling. When we did our trip to Melbourne we did 800km days so had pre cooked all these meals so we just had to microwave them when we ghost to each destination. Was perfect as we could have dinner heating while we were setting up. We didn't free camp though as we were on a tight schedule and had heard free camp spots fill up quickly.

Reactions: Johnstons