Interior Thetford N3185 Fridge Issues

Rogerthatv2

Jan 26, 2017
Brisbane
Hi All

We went away last weekend in our new Expanda and the caravan park lost power so the fridge attempted to start up on Gas. I could hear the clicking of the electronic ignition trying to ignite the gas (I think that's right?) but it would stop after 30 seconds and then the fridge would go into error mode. I reset this many times with the same result.

I read Thetford's (extensive, not) installation and user manuals with little help. I spoke with Jayco who advised that they would look at it when it goes in for its first service next week. The annoying part is, we want to go away this weekend for our first bush camp as it will be at Jayco for the next 2 weeks (3 weekends) to fix the warranty items...

Has anyone experienced this issue or can point me in the right direction? The gas is on, stove and HWS work fine. I have checked the tap under the van and its on and also removed the fridge external cover to see if I can see anything amiss. The only thing I can think of is that the electronic igniter is not set correctly or its not getting any gas. Being gas I do not really want to stuff to much with it but it would be good to resolve.

Any assistance greatly appreciated. Lesson to self, check fridge works on gas at collection...

Thanks Daniel.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I'd ask if I can make a special trip in and have this looked at prior to the normal booking - and explain you wish to take it away.

Our local dealer has been very accommodating like this. Can't hurt to try

Rogerthatv2

Jan 26, 2017
Brisbane
I'd ask if I can make a special trip in and have this looked at prior to the normal booking - and explain you wish to take it away.

Our local dealer has been very accommodating like this. Can't hurt to try

Thanks Macca, I have and they will look at it next week. Very busy at the moment due to the caravan and camping show.

Reactions: Macca_75

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We've also got the Thetford 185 fridge with the over designed control panel. The clicking you heard is normal as the fridge panel is looking for an alternative power source.

We found that when igniting it on gas you have to wait at least a few minutes before the gas gets to the fridge....the usual checks to see if gas is on the stove etc.

and find it very temperamental when changing from one source to another.....the problem we have at the moment is gas to DC....it's done with a lot of swearing...and not a lot of confidence.

I mention this as that stupid electronic panel, we find very unfriendly so you might have an issue with the panel itself. I know the destruction book suggests waiting for at least five minutes before asking it to power up on gas, after being on DC.

Give me the simple strait forward control knob any day.

I'm assuming yours is also wired to the battery so the panel can operate?

Good luck with it....I can say that it's operation on gas is really good, so it's worth pursuing.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Hi, You need to have 12v power to the fridge at all times to power the control panel. Also it does take quite a while for the gas to flow to the fridge - especially if you have changed a bottle.

Hope this helps

Rogerthatv2

Jan 26, 2017
Brisbane
Thanks, we have the gas on to the whole van as the cooktop, HWS is working fine on gas. We also need to have 12v switch on at all times and the fridge is electronic and it works fine on 12v and 240v. It will not start on gas - the gas icon lights up solid - you can hear the ignition clicking for 20 seconds and then it starts to flash and you have to reset it. I first noticed that it did not work on gas during a power outage at a caravan park and the gas had been on for hours to the other gas appliances, not sure how much time it needs to get gas to the fridge but I assume 9 days should be sufficient

Jayco can sort it out next week, I would love to chat with the quality manager who supposedly checked our van before it left the floor a few months back - he must have had a rough day!

Thanks for the replies, will let you know the outcome. Daniel

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I haven't read the manual for the Thetford but I assume the gas igniter system is similar to the Dometic where gas flow thru a solenoid valve while the igniter operates, this solenoid will stay open for a small period of time, where the gas should ignite and heat a probe which sends a signal to the gas solenoid and it will stay open, if this probe doesn't get hot ie: gas fails to ignite it will shut off gas, if the sensor fails the gas will ignits but go out quickly as the gas shuts off...................I recently fixed one that was doing this, the sensor was faulty or had a bad connection came good after terminals cleaned and sensor given a good torching.
if confident to pull things apart I could do a step by step as it does require a "do this then do that" procedure to check things out, the more steps the more complicated the testing.

If you can easily get to see into the burner you should see the sparking first, if a small flame appears then goes out it is the sensor fault....I'll see if I can find a manual online.

PS: hours later...........Manuals aren't much chop at all but system looks the same as the Dometic, the operation of the gas would be anyway.

Last edited:

Rogerthatv2

Jan 26, 2017
Brisbane
I haven't read the manual for the Thetford but I assume the gas igniter system is similar to the Dometic where gas flow thru a solenoid valve while the igniter operates, this solenoid will stay open for a small period of time, where the gas should ignite and heat a probe which sends a signal to the gas solenoid and it will stay open, if this probe doesn't get hot ie: gas fails to ignite it will shut off gas, if the sensor fails the gas will ignits but go out quickly as the gas shuts off...................I recently fixed one that was doing this, the sensor was faulty or had a bad connection came good after terminals cleaned and sensor given a good torching.
if confident to pull things apart I could do a step by step as it does require a "do this then do that" procedure to check things out, the more steps the more complicated the testing.

If you can easily get to see into the burner you should see the sparking first, if a small flame appears then goes out it is the sensor fault....I'll see if I can find a manual online.

PS: hours later...........Manuals aren't much chop at all but system looks the same as the Dometic, the operation of the gas would be anyway.

Thanks Drover, appreciate the help and you were spot on / loose connection and once we unplugged and plugged it ignited first go. Very happy days!

Reactions: Drover

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Thanks Drover, appreciate the help and you were spot on / loose connection and once we unplugged and plugged it ignited first go. Very happy days!
Hi @Rogerthatv2,
happy to read that the problem has been solved. Never good to have fridge problems in a van.

Is it possible to post a description of which connector and perhaps a photo? That would be a great help to others in the future who may be reading this thread because they have a similar problem.

kindest regards
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wonderful news, many jump to the worst case scenerio when most times its simple, just have to start at the begining and work along and as with everything electrical always check the earth second, the first check is to make sure it's turned on....a common fault.................................. I can imagine that would have been about $85 at an honest workshop or $145 at another for a new part.............................. KISS always........

Always pull the 240v lead out of the socket before playing with these things and if you don't have a multi meter or know how to use one leave it alone as after cleaning the connections one is needed.

Reactions: Rogerthatv2

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Solved! After speaking to a mate tonight and trying a couple of things, we found a loose wire - connected and bang, up she went! We now have a working fridge on gas!
"Up she went" wasn't a phrase I was expecting to read lol.
Then I read a bit further, All ok then. We have the manual switch and after reading some other threads from people with the auto select, I'm glad I do. I select gas often even when 240v is available, seems to cool better.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
would love to chat with the quality manager who supposedly checked our van before it left the floor a few months back

Quality Manager? I happen to know his "assistant". Here's a candid picture of him after an important meeting, on his way back to the Quality Control Gate on the factory floor. He'll happily listen to anything you have to say .... he's a great listener.

article-2230329-15EF2939000005DC-638_634x449.jpg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

@Drover , nothing succeeds like success, especially with "experience". Another soul saved!! Well done again @Drover .

Reactions: Rogerthatv2

Rogerthatv2

Jan 26, 2017
Brisbane
Sorry for some reason I missed the replies to this but I think that's because my wife read the email notification and deleted it.

It was a little red wire with a crimp connecter that goes to the black valve thing that controls the gas flow. I connected this and off it fired. I will grab some photos of it when it comes back from its first 'service' - still cannot believe that I have to pay Jayco to inspect the van for issues that should be picked up during a QC but that's another story and hopefully they can fix the main issue that it is in there for - a slide out that only half works...

Thanks all for the comments, will put some pics up when I collect her on Saturday.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Me too @Rogerthatv2 , missed the notifications for this thread for some reason, and yes @Crusty181 Chris would agree with you but then she is Victorian..................................................
@Rogerthatv2 I ended up going over every 12v terminal/cable join I could find and recrimping/replacing/soldering them all as a lot of them were on verge off coming off, some were hairy enough to cause a short and the fuse panel didn't even match up to the tags fitted, was good really as by the end of it all and added to the plumbing refit I knew my van inside out.

Sounds like the wire was the one on the gas solenoid....................good outcome........I would give them a big serve on pis poor QC, service and really go up them enough that a bribe of the large variety would be entirely in order to keep your custom.

Reactions: Crusty181