The Photo Sharing Thread with Tips and Hints

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi All, there are quite a few forum members that are into photography or looking at getting into photography so I thought I'd start a thread where we can share some of our photos from our travels together with the camera settings used and any other hints or tips for either taking the photo of post processing (and it will keep me active in the forum since we don't have our Panda any more)

8720665975_89123c42dc_c.jpg

This photo was taken at Hoskins Falls near Warrnambool. Camera settings were F14, ISO 250, Exp 8 seconds. It was taken during the golden hour on a tripod and using self timer (since I forgot the remote). Used a ND filter probably 3 stops?? Post processing.... Defog, slight burning to clouds and burning to the brown grass in the left bottom corner (was a bit bright). Still not sure if I love this or not but the GOR trip was my first attempt at landscape photography.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Andrea
Nice shot and detail of settings. What do you use to post process? I know what burning is but have never done it but I don't know what defog is? Are you able to explain
I will post a pic up tonight with settings etc. :)
Cheers
Ants

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi Anthony,
Because my preference is mostly photographing people, I generally use Photoshop Lightroom (batch editing of raw files) and Photoshop to finish off. Burning is like old school lab style (but much easier). Defogging... it's to remove the slight fogging that occurs with digital photos. Its a really mild sharpen. Do you have photoshop?

Look forward to seeing your photo :)

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
thanks pace. I hope it takes off. This thread can also be used by those without 'flash' cameras and even those wanting someone to 'play' (aka photoshop) their photo.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Great thread. I've had a Nikon 3100 for about 18 months, but really haven't had the time to explore. I used to into the 35mm stuff, so thought I'd get back in on the digital SLR side. The 3100 is pretty much entry level into DSLR, but it Weil do the job.
Nothing much to share at this point other than photos of kids, but I'm sure this will get me motivated.
One question Andrea, can you retrieve to the shot settings some time later, or do you have to write them down the tie time of the shot?

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi Soaring, the camera setting are in your meta data. If you right mouse click on one of your phots and then go to the details are, scroll down a little and the settings are all there. I use lightroom though and have it set up to overlay the camera settings on the photos.

It won't be long until you have your new van and being a Melbournian you'll have plenty of great spots near by.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi Anthony,
Because my preference is mostly photographing people, I generally use Photoshop Lightroom (batch editing of raw files) and Photoshop to finish off. Burning is like old school lab style (but much easier). Defogging... it's to remove the slight fogging that occurs with digital photos. Its a really mild sharpen. Do you have photoshop?

Look forward to seeing your photo :)

Hey Andrea
I have both lightroom and photoshop. I shoot with a nikon d7000 and have the 18-200mm F3.5 - 5.6, a 50mm f1.8 and a 35mmF2 lenses.
Lightroom adds black to the photos when you auto process to, i think, achieve the defogging? But as im still unfamiliar with it im not sure if its the same and as I have no dark room experience really have no idea. I will have to look it up.
Ants

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hey Andrea
I have both lightroom and photoshop. I shoot with a nikon d7000 and have the 18-200mm F3.5 - 5.6, a 50mm f1.8 and a 35mmF2 lenses.
Lightroom adds black to the photos when you auto process to, i think, achieve the defogging? But as im still unfamiliar with it im not sure if its the same and as I have no dark room experience really have no idea. I will have to look it up.
Ants

In lightroom it is the clarrity slider. If you message me you email I can send you a photoshop defog action

Reactions: Antman

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
That looks like fun CG! Can you tell me what you mean by a rear flash

There is a rear flash setting on the camera that will fire the flash at the end of a long exposure so in dark conditions the person running around behind the subject doesn't show up... as long as they get out of the way before the flash fires

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Ok here is a pic of Kata Tjuta or more commonly known as The Olgas.

Kata_Tjuta.jpg

Camera Settings:
Focal Length - 18mm
ISO 100
F22
Exposure 13 seconds
Taken at 6.20am - Golden Hour for that time of year.
Polarised Filter used.

Post Processing in Light Room.
Vibrance +4
Saturation +7
Blue Saturation + 8
Sharpening 25, Radius 1, Detail 25
Lightroom Lens Profile Correction for the 18-200mm Nikon Nikkor.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Andrea - Rear Flash settings are commonly used when there is movement in the frame and you want to STOP your subject by firing the flash at them right before the shutter closes. Example - bride and groom dancing shot where everyone else looks slightly blurred but the bride and groom are exposed properly.

Great shot CG - love it!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
There is a rear flash setting on the camera that will fire the flash at the end of a long exposure so in dark conditions the person running around behind the subject doesn't show up... as long as they get out of the way before the flash fires
Ahh. That's the trick. Going to try that now.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Ok here is a pic of Kata Tjuta or more commonly known as The Olgas.

View attachment 13722

Camera Settings:
Focal Length - 18mm
ISO 100
F22
Exposure 13 seconds
Taken at 6.20am - Golden Hour for that time of year.
Polarised Filter used.

Post Processing in Light Room.
Vibrance +4
Saturation +7
Blue Saturation + 8
Sharpening 25, Radius 1, Detail 25
Lightroom Lens Profile Correction for the 18-200mm Nikon Nikkor.

That's a nice shot Anthony. Such pretty colours! We use to go out to Uluru for work occasionally and I did a helicopter flight over them. They're pretty amazing.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane

Ahhh see canon shooter hear.... the second curtain/rear flash is on the speedlight not the camera. I'll have to pull it out and try it sometime. Thanks :)

BTW, I use to do flickr and the like but don't have time anymore :(