No Options Apply the most frustrating caravan invention

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
any one else had the joy of repairing caravan plumbing and as you progress the next john guest fitting in line starts to leak and each one you replace the next one leaks this is while you are under the van like a crippled bat, next time i will replace the whole line and not pollute the neighbourhood with my colourful discription of john guest fittings

rags

any one else had the joy of repairing caravan plumbing and as you progress the next john guest fitting in line starts to leak and each one you replace the next one leaks this is while you are under the van like a crippled bat, next time i will replace the whole line and not pollute the neighbourhood with my colourful discription of john guest fittings
As a plumber, I don’t mind the John Guest pipevand fitting system done properly however, when I did the plumbing on 3 vans some mates built, I happily used the Rehau crimp pipe system that good plumbers use when copper is no longer desirable (cost). I did so because of cost and performance of the rehau system over the John guest.
The tip for the John guest system is to use pipe cutters when cutting the pipe for straight cuts and to use the retainer clips on each fitting.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
i like the look of those rehau fittings,i just watched their training video ,i have used the sharkbite fittings on some home piping they are easy to use in the right situation, i believe my current issues are compounded by the caravan builders bending new flexible pipe into less than optimum angles and bends ,now years later the pipe has gone rigid and does not handle movement at all , so if there is an issue,you are advised to replace a complete section with new pipe and fittings , a pipe cutter is a must and on new work i install end spacers and lock clips,funny though, none of these are present in any of the fittings i have replaced
thanks rags

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
straight cuts and to use the retainer clips on each fitting.

Exactly the clips are brilliant. I have always made straight runs with minimal curve mainly as movement can cause a breach, like the guest fittings mainly because on road repair is not a big drama.... tried making clips they sort of worked so long as they stayed put.

Reactions: poor but proud

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Looking for a 20 footer expanda why do they now put the washing michine in the cupboard near the door and front bed end across from the couch so your hose for it goes into annex under the step ... WHAT the ???? They used to be in bathroom but they thought why put them there .....be better next to the bed and take that storage cupboard away Realy now thats gold .......we now have a wheel arch in the bathroom so washing michine carnt go in there why change stuff like that its just stupid

Reactions: Drover and BJM

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
man ,Jayco are rough as guts. 4 year old 17.55 ptop ,spent yesterday tidying up underneath.Stainless screws underneath, new copper saddles etc etc.same old.Why do I still buy Jaycos,in my case my mates have much more expensive vans still rough still problems,ie leaks and $ 40000 more expensive .

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
NOt wrong @BJM having played around with some other more expensive vans, I really can't see a great improvement other than maybe a bit more blingy for the money ............... water lines and electrical cables cut tht he shortest possible length, all use self tappers which are great in metal but tend to chew out in timber...
and these hang on the wall front load washers are not only heavier but on recent trips have had 2 fellas mention there's coming away from wall, not sure brand of van though.... I might give Jayco's a rub but I would more than likely get one next time .

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
It’s funny the two guys that own the company where my van is made are both ex Jayco engineers, the difference in quality is amazing!! Maybe they were held back there I know that’s why they both left Jurgens

Reactions: davemc and Drover