the Kitchen Sink

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I noticed in our Penguin that the sink appears to have been fitted by cutting out the hole, dropping it in, and tightening up the retaining clips under the sink. There appears to have been no attempt to seal the sink to avoid spillage getting under the sink and possibly damaging the benchtop.

I was hoping to get some guidance on what I should do.
First question, is it normal to for there to be no sealant or did I just get a sink put in on a Friday?

Should I be bothered doing something about it?
If so, has anyone sealed this area and if so how did you go about it?

My first thoughts were to take it out fill the area under the lip with waterproof sealant and put it back in.
But then I started thinking about getting it back out again. I became worried that the benchtop might not be that robust and it would stick to the sealant and separate from the underlying benchtop material.
So then I thought about applying some single sided foam strip and sticking it to the underside of the sink.
But then I thought: I can't be the first person on this forum to give this problem some thought.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

cheers
Mike

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi,
I noticed in our Penguin that the sink appears to have been fitted by cutting out the hole, dropping it in, and tightening up the retaining clips under the sink. There appears to have been no attempt to seal the sink to avoid spillage getting under the sink and possibly damaging the benchtop.

I was hoping to get some guidance on what I should do.
First question, is it normal to for there to be no sealant or did I just get a sink put in on a Friday?

Should I be bothered doing something about it?
If so, has anyone sealed this area and if so how did you go about it?

My first thoughts were to take it out fill the area under the lip with waterproof sealant and put it back in.
But then I started thinking about getting it back out again. I became worried that the benchtop might not be that robust and it would stick to the sealant and separate from the underlying benchtop material.
So then I thought about applying some single sided foam strip and sticking it to the underside of the sink.
But then I thought: I can't be the first person on this forum to give this problem some thought.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

cheers
Mike
Mike, I haven't checked mine (but will now) but when we had our sink fitted at home, they used a self adhesive sealing tape which was like a foam material which sealed the sink but allows it to be removed.

Reactions: mikerezny

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Mike, I haven't checked mine (but will now) but when we had our sink fitted at home, they used a self adhesive sealing tape which was like a foam material which sealed the sink but allows it to be removed.
Hi @Bellbirdweb,
thanks for the quick response with this valuable information.
That seems like exactly what I need. Off to the Green Shed asap.

cheers
MIke

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
here is a follow up.

I checked underneath sink and it looks like Jayco have used foam self adhesive sealing tape all around the sink.

Yeah, another problem sorted without actually having to do anything!

cheers
Mike

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Sounds like that might be the source of the water I have occasionally noted in pots under our sink.
I have tightened clamps, made sure sink drain was sealed, so that would likely be my problem too.
Sink sealing tape for me too by the sounds
Thanks guys

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Hi Willobee you might want to remove the waste as well. On my dove their was no sealant around the waste. On the expanda the same, which I replaced with a camec one that has a rubber seal between the parts and a little bigger sink plug than std.