The annexe/awning

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
image.jpg
This the new awning. I fitted it today. Originally I had a Jayco "bag" awning/annexe. It was a nightmare to put up and an even bigger nightmare to pack up. Been bugging me ever since I got the van just over 12 months ago. The original awning, brand new, cost $1k. This awning cost $100 on special.
Tomorrow I am going to move the van to the front of our place so I can set up the awning. I will post another picture tomorrow night.
Next Tuesday I am going to Kurth Kiln, near Gembrook for a break with my boy. Watch this space.

Reactions: Burnsy

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
image.jpg
I know I said I would set it up yesterday. Yesterday I was way too busy. Here it is up. Normally the van is inside the gate. Today I pulled it down the drive so I had space to move.
From the time I started to reverse the car onto the van until I finished was 45 minutes. In that time I reversed and attached van and towed it down the drive so I had room to move. Cranked up the van. Set up the awning. Got Stephanie to come have a look at the awning. She also was impressed. I then packed up the awning put the van down. I then got my eldest end daughter to check all the lights on the van. I then reversed the van back to where we keep it. All in 45 minutes. That's not bad. It used to take over 45 minutes to set up the bag awning that came with the van.
I have had a look at the weather forecast. Tuesday Wednesday look fine and sunny. I intend to go to Kurth Kiln with my son. Very much looking forward to this.
Till next time.....

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thx Stan for doing that. You gotta be impressed with the time there you saved with the new setup. Correct me, though simply is that an 4WD awning, or similiar?

Hope you never forgot to lower the roof vent? Pace.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Great job Stan, anything that makes for a quicker set up is well worth doing. More time to sit back and relax now!

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Couple comments.
Pace, yes. That's exactly what I have. I was going to get three; two for the bed flys and one to act as an annexe. The photo shows the annexe. I doubt that I will do the flys now. I have found a way to make them a one person job. It just means removing them from the van. I am also concerned that the angle of the roof where the flys are, may be too great for the awning.
And yes, I have forgot the vent and got a wet floor.
Relgate, similar but different. And watching that video reminded me just what a hard job it was. Boy am I glad to see the back side of that lot.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Couple comments.
Pace, yes. That's exactly what I have. I was going to get three; two for the bed flys and one to act as an annexe. The photo shows the annexe. I doubt that I will do the flys now. I have found a way to make them a one person job. It just means removing them from the van. I am also concerned that the angle of the roof where the flys are, may be too great for the awning.
And yes, I have forgot the vent and got a wet floor.
Relgate, similar but different. And watching that video reminded me just what a hard job it was. Boy am I glad to see the back side of that lot.

Yep, the vid made it look like a 2 hr job!

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Ok, so I have been there and done that and I am too lazy to start another thread so will continue this one.
Yesterday me and my boy headed up to Kurth Kiln for an over night get away.
The new awning is a screaming success. It took 5 minutes to set up. I did put up the two end bed flys. They took around 10 minutes each.
This morning I cheated. I removed the two screws that hold the flys in place, removed the flys, folded them up and threw them in the van. And each one took longer to dismantle the side awning.
And it was cold up there this morning!
I also filed for future reference, turn the fridge to maximum of 3 when on gas else everything in the fridge will be frozen by morning.
All in all the trip was brilliant. No sick kids. No rush. No panic. Totally relaxing. And we did what lotsa males do, we grunted at each other. Played in the dirt, built pretend bridges and generally had a good time!
Till next time........

Reactions: pace9908

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Stan,
when my wife and I are packing up with our Flamming-go, we leave the bed fly's in position until we start to lower the roof, just loosen the ropes holding the end out, and when the roof is at a manageable height we then fold the flys in........
hard to explain, but
my fly's are solid vinyl roof with fly screen sides.
fold the end up first, then the 2 sides (sort of like an envelope) then start to roll it up to the bag.
zip up the bag, then continue with the winding down

make sense?

cheers

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Our flys on the 18 are fully removeable. Pull the pin and they just slide out. Much easier to roll up on the ground and then slide back in place when bed ends folded up.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Bigcol, does your wife help you roll up the flys? My wife is blind. Yes, she can help but it is a nightmare. If the helper is sighted then it is easy. Also I camp on my own these days so it has become a one man job.
Expandafan, yes I did that yesterday. Trouble is, ground was wet and muddy at back up time. You was is easy, now doubt about that, except when it's wet.
However, I have founalter answer to my problem. It involves a 25 ml diameter, 1.8 metre length of stainless steel towel rod. I fold the fly netting as Bigcol suggested. Then I place my stainless steel rod inside and simply roll the canvass around it and roll it up. I have cleaned the van today and tomorrow hopefully will pack it down. I will take a series of photos and share them here.

Reactions: Xpandafan

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Stan,
I can be done as a 1 man job, just the draw bar on the van is sometimes in the way..
the rear end is easier.....
my bed fly's have poles in the end, that the legs slip into before you put the guy ropes on them....
sort of to hold the sides out as they should do.
similar idea....

cheers

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as you can see in the photo, there is a straight edge along the front, that the 2 poles go in to, and the ropes then onto the poles

4thOctober09047.jpg

there is a pole that runs from side to side, that the legs poke through (then the ropes on top)
when we pack up, I push in the bed ends, then loosen the ropes on all awnings, then wind it down to a manageable height.
then I take the ropes off, pull the 2 poles out, then fold the sides, and roll up the bed fly.
and the Kitchen awning
and the large awning
then complete the winding down of the camper

hope this explains it for you

cheers

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Thank you for the description Col. I notice your fly has only two poles, one at each corner, and what appears to be a cross pole that runs between the poles. Mine doesnt have that. Mine has three poles. One at each corner and one in the centre.
image.jpg
as you can see from this photo, I position my towel rail along the fly and then roll the fly around the rail. Today I made a mistake and was forced to roll it up with the fly attached to the van. I now have the perfect excuse to go away camping for a night and try it out.
By using the towel rail I can get the fly rolled up tighter and neater than ever.

May 12, 2013
Port Hedland
View attachment 13510 I know I said I would set it up yesterday. Yesterday I was way too busy. Here it is up. Normally the van is inside the gate. Today I pulled it down the drive so I had space to move.
From the time I started to reverse the car onto the van until I finished was 45 minutes. In that time I reversed and attached van and towed it down the drive so I had room to move. Cranked up the van. Set up the awning. Got Stephanie to come have a look at the awning. She also was impressed. I then packed up the awning put the van down. I then got my eldest end daughter to check all the lights on the van. I then reversed the van back to where we keep it. All in 45 minutes. That's not bad. It used to take over 45 minutes to set up the bag awning that came with the van.
I have had a look at the weather forecast. Tuesday Wednesday look fine and sunny. I intend to go to Kurth Kiln with my son. Very much looking forward to this.
Till next time.....

View attachment 13461 This the new awning. I fitted it today. Originally I had a Jayco "bag" awning/annexe. It was a nightmare to put up and an even bigger nightmare to pack up. Been bugging me ever since I got the van just over 12 months ago. The original awning, brand new, cost $1k. This awning cost $100 on special.
Tomorrow I am going to move the van to the front of our place so I can set up the awning. I will post another picture tomorrow night.
Next Tuesday I am going to Kurth Kiln, near Gembrook for a break with my boy. Watch this space.

The awning looks great, it looks like the one on my car, they are so easy to put up. Our van awning is a traditional roll out type and is a bit of work to put up. But hey, thats what holidays are for...!

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Bob, that awning is the same as what goes on a car. I actually have a second one that is to go on my 4Wd. I needed to get some extra bit.
But this one on the side of my van, well, what can I say. The difference in set up and pack up between this and the bag awning is just huge!