Tekonsha P3 issues

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I have my P3 installed in a cubby in the front of the console so when I'm not towing the van I usually keep the door closed so it can't be seen.
Anyway, with the issues we are having with our place in Mulwala we have decided to head to a friends place for a few days over Easter with the van. I opened the cubby door this morning and noticed I have no display on the P3, the screen is flickering but displays nothing (usually it displays no connection or some similar message).
I connected the van up to see if that would wake it up but nothing shows at all.
No amount of button pressing brings up any display.

Anyone had this issue before on a P3?
Does it sound like it's dead? If so, I need to have a new one installed this week.

Cheers,
Matty

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
I'd be checking electrical connections, +ev is connected to battery, -ev is correctly attached to the battery. Mine was showing that i had a short to the battery the other day but it has come good now, possibly water due to all the rain.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I'd be checking electrical connections, +ev is connected to battery, -ev is correctly attached to the battery. Mine was showing that i had a short to the battery the other day but it has come good now, possibly water due to all the rain.

Two days prior to our last two trips, Vic high country, then back in January before our usual escape, I've had similar issues

though didn't black out, would just show, Short circut to battery no brakes, dealer that fitted it said plug was loose at back and the circut breaker may have tripped, it was good after that, then prior to our last trip it happened again, plug was good so I just left it, next day it was all OK and was fine for the whole trip and has been ever since "touch wood"

but I'm seriously consider chucking it for a Redarc

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Typical......
I went out and checked all the connections, all good.
Checked it was plugged into the back of the unit, all good.

Then remembered that most electronic items that play up come good when you turn them off and back on again.
So I disconnected the power wire from the battery for a minute and then re-connected it, all good now!!!

Plugged it into the van again and works as per usual.................bloody technology, don't you love it!!:ambivalence:

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
Hmm Microsoft Brake Controllers ;) I had a similar thing happen last year I could hear the cct breaker cycling in the back of the wagon. I disconnected the controller for a while until I could get around to finding the fault. When I couldn't find a short anywhere I plugged it back in and haven't had a problem since.

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
A "Reboot" fixes everything! I work in IT, and I swear if you can't fix it with a reboot, or google it then it's a manufacturing problem ;)
To right, the amount if things ive fixed after googling. Also when my play station just showed a black screen, I held the on/off button down for about 15 sec and it fixed it. Like a reboot. And I googled for that fault too