Exterior Tailight flashing?

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all,
Just come back from a day at Katherine Gorge and my tailights where flashing. Disconnected all possible power sources but still flashing. Anybody got any ideas why?
Cheers,
Cam

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Cammo - is it the Van or the Car that the tail lights are flashing.............

if it is the car - it will only be 2 things

1) the switch on your brake pedal has turned its toes

2) the wiring in your trailer plug has a fault
(usually it is the brake controller that screws with the immobilizer, and confuses the ECU)
but if you were driving without the Van and its happening - I would suggest you have a look at the trailer plug itself
probably the brake light pin has an earth - somehow

Reactions: dagree

Maxisverymad

Jun 23, 2015
Tawonga Vic
Most people have to pay Jayco extra for that function but sounds like you got it for free! I can say that now you know what the problem is as it probably wouldn't of helped before (Smart arse Victorian!)

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
I thought I had solved the problem, charged my break away battery today now the tailights stay on instead of flashing. Buggered if I know what's going on.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Are you sure it is the tail lights not the brake lights? Breaksafe should not have any effect on your tail lights at all, or you indicators for that matter.

Reactions: Delano

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Has it got a separate stop light, maybe one mounted high. If it does see if it is on or off. Off it is the tail lights, on it is the brake lights!

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
Are the side clarence lights on as well?
Are the wheel brakes coming on?
Remove the breaksafe at front and see if lights stay on steady, and brakes are on?

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
I am assuming this is occurring when the caravan is not connected to the car.
If the only power source connected is your breakaway battery, then I believe your issue is related to that. Maybe on your last trip you suffered from some wiring damage. Have a look at the wiring going to your electric brakes to see if there is any damage. The connectors located near the axles are easily damaged. Also check that the breakaway switch, where the pin locks in is not damaged and that the wiring from it is not damaged.
With the breakaway activated the lights will be bright until the battery voltage drops and may flicker as the battery is discharged due to load on the battery.
cheers
Nick

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
Hi,
I am assuming this is occurring when the caravan is not connected to the car.
If the only power source connected is your breakaway battery, then I believe your issue is related to that. Maybe on your last trip you suffered from some wiring damage. Have a look at the wiring going to your electric brakes to see if there is any damage. The connectors located near the axles are easily damaged. Also check that the breakaway switch, where the pin locks in is not damaged and that the wiring from it is not damaged.
With the breakaway activated the lights will be bright until the battery voltage drops and may flicker as the battery is discharged due to load on the battery.
cheers
Nick
Maybe your into something Nick, will check it out today.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No mention if you have checked all the connectors on your plug, may be a hairy wire shorting or it could be (horror) a short in the Birds Nest..........................the breakaway and electric brakes should have no physical or electrical connection to your lights at any time, brake lights come on because the pedal is pushed in the tug that same pedal push tells the brake controller to send some juice to the brakes..............the breakaway is charged by it's own 12v supply from tug and when the pin is pulled will send juice to the brakes........so I would be looking for a short..........thats my guess anyway.

Reactions: bigcol

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
No mention if you have checked all the connectors on your plug, may be a hairy wire shorting or it could be (horror) a short in the Birds Nest..........................the breakaway and electric brakes should have no physical or electrical connection to your lights at any time, brake lights come on because the pedal is pushed in the tug that same pedal push tells the brake controller to send some juice to the brakes..............the breakaway is charged by it's own 12v supply from tug and when the pin is pulled will send juice to the brakes........so I would be looking for a short..........thats my guess anyway.
Just got back from a Helicopter flight over the Bungle bungles so will check that out in the morning.