Sydney to Great Ocean Road - Help Please

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
As the title suggest we want to plan a trip to the GOR.

We will be leaving from the Central Coast NSW and so far we know we would like to take our kids (8 and 10) to see Sovereign Hill, Ballarat, either on the way there or back.

We really dont know VIC at all so looking for a little advice on some must see places. I would like to see some of the VIC high country but not sure if thats practical in a caravan, also The Grampians seem interesting.

We would like to see different areas on the way back so we dont follow our own footsteps too much.

Planning the trip in early December as our school holiday start around two weeks before the VIC school hols start. I would say we are thinking around 14 days all up.

Reactions: 1DayIll

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
A lot to do in 14 days but doable. GOR is a beautiful area and could stay 2 weeks easily. My picks for the area,Lorne all the waterfall walks are great not sure how much water will be there but will be some. Kennett River is a nice place to stay as well lots of wild life in the park take birdseed. Also Otway Fly is really good for kids to visit near Lavers Hill and Redwood is near by which is worth a look too. There are great beaches all along the way Warrnambool is a great center (where I live) to stock up and look around. You could make your way up to Grampions from here another nice place lots of walks to do to.

Reactions: JT76 and bigcol

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Ok so a little planning and we have come up with this.

upload_2017-10-15_15-37-13.jpeg

Travel from home to Echuca staying at Maidens Inn CP 1night
Echuca to Ballarat staying Goldfields Big 4, 2 nights Visiting Sovereign Hill and Kyral Castle for the kids.
Then heading from Ballarat to Torquay to start the GOR leg of our trip. Cont until Apollo Bay Pisces Holiday Park staying 1 night (maybe 2?)
On way stopping at what ever catches our eye, including Maits Rest walk on the way to Warrnabool.
Not sure where to stay here yet so any suggestions are welcome for an overnighter before heading to Halls Gap.
Halls gap for 2 nights at either Lakeside or Parkgate (leaning towards parkgate but both look good)
Halls Gap to Bendigo for a night or two then home via a night at a farmstay at Gundaroo.

We will use about 14 days all up so might add an extra night here or there. Does this look too rushed or OK? I dont mind a longer day to start with (around 9 hours) and the rest will be more like 3 hour trips in between before a longer trip back home.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
If staying in Warrnambool stay at Surfside caravanpark right in the beach and great adventure park (playground) across the road (might come down for a bevie). From heading from W’bool to Halls Gap go via Penshurst-Dunkeld the road you have marked isn’t great for caravans or anything really I drive it for work very rough.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
If staying in Warrnambool stay at Surfside caravanpark right in the beach and great adventure park (playground) across the road

Agree with this, one side you have a beach the other plenty of activities, especially for the kids.

'Also stay at Parkgate that time of year got great pools'

Not so sure on this one, I like the Lakeside as it has much more of a bush feeling for me. Also has a swiiming pool that is wood fire heated if required.

I am sure both parks would be fine though.

Reactions: JT76

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
I prefer Lake Side as well but for the time of year prob won’t allow fires and heated swimming pool wouldn’t be needed.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
There is the park in the centre of Halls Gap. Good for walking. Venus Baths, Boroka Lookout to name a couple.

Dunkeld to Halls Gap Rd is ok. Sealed all the way, can be lots of roos.

Halls Gap to Bendigo. I'd go via Ararat, Avoca, Maryborough and Bendigo. Better road by a long shot also a nice bit of countryside.

Further north loop through Shepparton and stop at the canneries to stock up.

Reactions: JT76 and Tone

Sean Robertson

Sep 28, 2016
Melbourne
airnsdale"JT76, post: 182720, member: 5609"]As the title suggest we want to plan a trip to the GOR.

We will be leaving from the Central Coast NSW and so far we know we would like to take our kids (8 and 10) to see Sovereign Hill, Ballarat, either on the way there or back.

We really dont know VIC at all so looking for a little advice on some must see places. I would like to see some of the VIC high country but not sure if thats practical in a caravan, also The Grampians seem interesting.

We would like to see different areas on the way back so we dont follow our own footsteps too much.

Planning the trip in early December as our school holiday start around two weeks before the VIC school hols start. I would say we are thinking around 14 days all up.

Hi There,

I see you have soem great suggestions for the GOR, however I would suggest coming back via the Great Alpine HWY, from Bruthen (Near Lakes Entrance), especially if you want to get in some of the Vic High Country. There are some amazing spots to stop like Swifts creek, Anglers rest where the Blue Duck Inn is (Great Pub) then Mita Mita, Eskdale and on too Albury. You could head East and end up at Tumbarumba but I have not been this way. If you wanted to be a little adventurous, form Bairnsdale you could head up to Dargo and then across to Omeo through the Alpine ranges, however you would need a decent map. Have fun cheers Sean

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Ok so a little planning and we have come up with this.

View attachment 57575

Travel from home to Echuca staying at Maidens Inn CP 1night
Echuca to Ballarat staying Goldfields Big 4, 2 nights Visiting Sovereign Hill and Kyral Castle for the kids.
Then heading from Ballarat to Torquay to start the GOR leg of our trip. Cont until Apollo Bay Pisces Holiday Park staying 1 night (maybe 2?)
On way stopping at what ever catches our eye, including Maits Rest walk on the way to Warrnabool.
Not sure where to stay here yet so any suggestions are welcome for an overnighter before heading to Halls Gap.
Halls gap for 2 nights at either Lakeside or Parkgate (leaning towards parkgate but both look good)
Halls Gap to Bendigo for a night or two then home via a night at a farmstay at Gundaroo.

We will use about 14 days all up so might add an extra night here or there. Does this look too rushed or OK? I dont mind a longer day to start with (around 9 hours) and the rest will be more like 3 hour trips in between before a longer trip back home.
Stay at moama water rather than maides inn its a great park with huge sites

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Thanks everyone for the help!

I'll look into those routes mentioned above for a better drive. We actually booked in 3/4 of the trip last night as it seemed a few were already booked out for the time we were going. Looks like there may have been an issue with our computer because using an iPad we could book the same sites?? Anyway made us think we better lock some things in before we do have issues getting a place.

Missed out on your advice @Tucker as we booked maidens inn before seeing your post so hope it's ok, it's the only one nighter so we won't be there long, planning a cruise down the river the next day too.

Then off to goldfields big 4 Ballarat for two nights
Kenneth river as suggested got the nod for the next two nights
Port Campbell Hpark for two nights
Warrnambool for another two nights (checking in on the 16th Dec if you want to catch up)
Halls gap lakeside for three nights
And the trip home is not planned fully. I would love to do something like @Sean Robertson mentioned but might have to make that another trip as we want to get home for Christmas. I think the rest won't be too rushed and we will have a full day or more at most places. Just need to find a place around half way between Halls Gap and home making sure we stop off at Bendigo on the way through.

Reactions: Tone

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Ok I'm stuck on one last thing. After Halls Gap we want to head into Bendigo for a few hours and then start heading home. From Bendigo to home will be close to 10 hours so doable but I am thinking if I can knock an hour or two off that it will make the last leg home that bit easier.

So I'm looking for the best route out of Bendigo back towards Albury where I will then stick to the Hume for the rest. Albury is around 3.5 hours away so too far to get there after spending time in Bendigo. So once I know the best way out I can look for a place to stop for the night. Google maps shows me the quickest but might not be the best way out as a few people have mentioned I take alternate roads to what google has suggested.

Also if you know of a ok stop over an hour or two out of Bendigo let me know, happy with anything from a Big 4 to a free camp or anything in between.

Thanks again !

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
All packed up and ready to hit the road tomorrow. I'll try to post a few pics as we go, that reminds me I need to pack the camera.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Should be good trip lake side halls gap the best ..... would meet up but leaving for coffs 19th lot of driving ahead of you so dont push yourself theres a nice van park just past lorne Cunberland river not a bad spot either stay safe and have a ball the GOR is one of if not the best drive in Australia when you get to Peterborough i think just past it theres a boat ramp cut into the cliffs its something to see

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
If you are setup for free camp`ing look up Christies beach near Echuca - there is a drop toilet, etc there as well. Free and right on the Murray.

Sovereign Hill is a full day. We stayed at a nice little park about 5 mins drive from there - Eureka Caravan park. Has a free Mini golf course for the kids, free DVDs to borrow, etc. A small playground. Close to town as well. A very expensive add on is the *night show* after hours at Sovereign Hill - pretty much teaches you the History of Eureka, Democracy and (making my own stretch here) the modern day union. IMO worth doing once.

Kryle castle - it's a 1/2 day thing - you could maybe stretch it to a day with enough kids. The all in Mallee was great fun to watch.

There is a little caravan park in Princetown - about 5 mins drive form the Apostles. Pretty expensive for what it is, but nice and peaceful. No playground, etc. Very basic. There is also a free (or cheap??) council park on the other side of the river - slightly more dusty, shared amenities, etc. You could basecamp there driving to the various views of the apostles - it's not just one spot. Allow at least a day of viewing before heading off. Maybe 2 if you want to look around - there is a cheese place not far - it was interesting seeing how cheese was made, doing to taste testing and watching the cows being milked.

http://apostlewheycheese.com.au/

We recently stayed at Park Lane Big 4 - I think the park was pretty average. Not bad, but not great. One stand out was the attached indoor play centre for the kids (which is why we ended up there) - as good as any here in Melbourne I think.

Also grab yourself a copy of Wikicamps - it's about $8 in whatever app store you use (Apple/Google/Windows). You can't go wrong. It will show you hundreds of places to stay, things to see and do and feedback/photos from other users. Throw your trip into it and you get a link to share with all your stop overs - here is an example of the trip we just did to SA - http://wctrip.co/au/214811/1014553365

Reactions: 1DayIll and JT76