Swift Swift Mods

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
Long time posting but have been busy with getting my van ready for a big trip to Karijini next year. Anyway I added 120W solar panel and controller plus if you own a Swift you'll soon know that space is a premium so I added a big tool box to the draw bar and relocated the gas bottle inside. I havent decided what to do about the jerry can holder. Maybe it'll go on the back or I'll simply bolt it to one side of the tool box.

Attachments

• Preparing the drawbar.JPG
    Preparing the drawbar.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 959
  • The box.JPG
    The box.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,070
  • Whats inside the box.JPG
    Whats inside the box.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 957
  • Solar Panel.JPG
    Solar Panel.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 955
Reactions: bigcol and Stan53

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Not bad. Looks good. What's the tow ball weight now?
I am not sure I would have put the gas bottle in the box though. Wouldn't want a gas leak. Good use of space.

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
Not bad. Looks good. What's the tow ball weight now?
I am not sure I would have put the gas bottle in the box though. Wouldn't want a gas leak. Good use of space.

Towball weight should be about 100kg or so. Haven't checked. Probably still around the 100Kg mark.
As for the cylinder being in the box, I intend to put some vents on the back of the box to allow any escaped gases to vent.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I looked at the boxes. But couldn’t see a way of fitting them. Also I was concerned about the ball weight. Might pay to check what the maximum ball weight should be.
As to the gas bottles, I need to get around to that. I want to swap my 9 kg bottle for 2 4.5 kg bottles.
By the way, how much does the box weigh empty? and the measurements? Did you buy it ready made or make it yourself?

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
I looked at the boxes. But couldn’t see a way of fitting them. Also I was concerned about the ball weight. Might pay to check what the maximum ball weight should be.
As to the gas bottles, I need to get around to that. I want to swap my 9 kg bottle for 2 4.5 kg bottles.
By the way, how much does the box weigh empty? and the measurements? Did you buy it ready made or make it yourself?

I think from memory its 100kg which is far less than what I reckon it should be. I thought it was always supposed to be 10% of the van which case it should be about 150Kg. I reckon I am safe.

Reactions: cruza driver

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
Last edited:
Reactions: cruza driver

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
Just measured the ball weight 95Kg.

Max ball weight according to the plate is 99Kg so well within the limit.

I think that is the ball weight without any additional equipment on those brochures as mine definitely says different on the plate.

What I find interesting is that my double bed is at the towball end and the single is at the other end.

Oh and this on the brochure: "The tare and tow ball weight is only a guide and will change depending on accessories which are fitted to your van. Advisable to discuss with your Jayco Representative."

So basically I am betting they just measure it and go yep, thats the weight with all of this stuff added and mark it as such. I believe the vans can take far more than they say on the towball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stan53

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I havent decided what to do about the jerry can holder. Maybe it'll go on the back or I'll simply bolt it to one side of the tool box.

I would suggest - if possible - get your Jerry Can holder mounted on the back - it will help with the weight distribution overall, as well as your Ball weight

my mates Hawk, he had the Fuel Jerry Can and a Water Jerry Can mounted on the back, as well as his pole carrier......

every little bit helps

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
I would suggest - if possible - get your Jerry Can holder mounted on the back - it will help with the weight distribution overall, as well as your Ball weight

my mates Hawk, he had the Fuel Jerry Can and a Water Jerry Can mounted on the back, as well as his pole carrier......

every little bit helps
Yep already test fitted it to the back and it sits nicely either side of the spare wheel. Again its one of those funny things Jayco quote, that is nothing else can go on the back bar except the wheel holder. I have the pole holder on the back under the bar but it fouls the legs. One thing I was thinking of was to cut the rear legs down as I think they have a fair amount of extension in them. I only need to cut about 25mm of it and the feet should clear the pole holder.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
do you have the AL-KO type legs, or the "scissor jack" type legs?

just curious, as I had the scissor type, and took them off and replaced with the AL-KO type on my Flamingo......
but it was an outback..........

Mintox

Oct 20, 2013
Perth
do you have the AL-KO type legs, or the "scissor jack" type legs?

just curious, as I had the scissor type, and took them off and replaced with the AL-KO type on my Flamingo......
but it was an outback..........
Al-ko. I reckon they have excess length so I was thinking I could cut them down so they would tuck behind the pole holder since its a 150mm pole holder the diameter is a smidge too big and fouls the feet.