swaying van

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi i have a 2013 diesel territory with air bags ,wdh, and a 20/63/1 Expanda every now and then it sways for no reson put van over weight bridge came in at 2540 kg loaded no water never carry water has any one got any idears what can do running 28psi in air bags

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hi
Can you be a little more specific about the swaying? What speed?
I tend to travel with full tanks for one reason that I like the centre of gravity to be nearer the axles than at the rear or front. There's much written about this elsewhere from a university study some years back.
It is a big van and you have independent suspension on the car (I owned a Territory previously and towed our 1800kg 16 foot Expanda) which does give a bit of a loose feel at times.
Cheers
Andrew

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Howdy twscoot around 90 to 100 km it is only every now and then it fills loose just does not fill right we had a 17 ft jayco before it towed like a dream i said to the wife maybe i not used to a full van ?

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@brotys,

What you may need to be careful of is the amount of weight at the rear of the van. It is possible to have your van's weights within limits (both total and ball weights), but if you have too much weight at the back of the van, that can cause swaying.

Not sure what the generally accepted percentage of ball weight to total van weight is.

Do you have any heavy items located past the axels towards the rear of the van? If you do, you could move them forward towards the axels, over them, or more towards the front of the van.

Just a thought!

ROnEM

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi ROnEM no heavy items down back not sure whats going on thinking of empting van out and going for a drive with tanks empty

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Brad only stuff down back is is doonas , pillows , toilet shower stuff , cloths , noyhing on back of van except spare wheel

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
brotys,

It might be that there is still more weight past the rear axels just from the way the van was built.

You might need to fill the front water tank or load some items into the front of the van to make sure there is more weight there.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Maybe also drop 1 or 2 psi out of the bags too. It may not sound like much but can make a difference because if the bags are to hard the suspension on the car isn't working properly.

The van could be to rigid with the car. I hope this makes sense I can explain it but typing it is another matter lol.

It's worth a try that's what I did in the Cruiser and it did help.

Also on another note last September where you traveling towards Cann River?

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
could off been but would off only been as far as lakes why that i will try the bag thing they have got more in them then i normally run around 23 to 25 psi and i have up the tyre pressure in rear of car to 40 as hand book said to do should i drop that back down as well

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Keep tyres at manufacturer's recommendations. My tyre centre said to keep the Cruiser's tyres at between 38 & 40 psi when towing on the black top!

Drop air-bag pressure - you might need to try different pressures to see what happens.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Then I am a tad confused....
If it is that new and if you can get it to sway with nothing in it other than the way you drove it out of the yard, then is this not something Jayco need to rectify?

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
I not blamming jayco i have not towed it empty the day we picked it up we put every thing in it at dealer and went away for a week so my thought was to empty it out and go for a drive

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I guess the only reason why I question is that it is not unreasonable to expect a new van to travel perfectly at 100kms.
Do the larger models come with a requirement for airbags or WDH? I know our 18 doesn't.

If you found it swayed empty and there are no conditions on having to have a WDH or airbags or anything else in your documentation, then wouldn't this be a warranty issue?

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
No not that i am a were off was told air bags help and save the springs over time thats the only reson i fitted them van does tow better at 110kmh but cant do that every were lol

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
HI Mate, wandering how you towing issue is going?

Sounds like a tail heavy van, do you have 5-10% of the van weight (including payload) on the tow ball?

Cheers
Mike

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
The weight over the rear is definitely my first thought.... Over the Xmas break, with a concern over tow ball weight I moved heavy items from the front boot to sit internally down the back. The trip to dubbo stopped before penrith with the van swaying all over the road once I hit 80kms..... Couldn't believe the difference it made as previously had no sway issues..... Had to reorganise on the m4 before heading off again.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Definiately sounds like not enough weight up front, also try a little less pressure in the airbags (say 20psi) and let the WDH do it's job, it's a bit of a balancing act between WDH and airbags,
I always travel with water in tanks (1) for balance (2) never know when you what water, eg hand washing or inpromtdue free camp.
depending on location of tanks, adding water to front one only adds approx 10kg to ball weight (tested on my 16 single axle).

Reactions: achjimmy