Suspicions Confirmed about lack of Power in my Ranger

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
@Capt. Gadget hows the ranger been running??

Still up the Sh!!T Pace, The Fuel economy is fairly ordinary the last trip away averaged 19.something /100 over 3000 odd k's but I do have to take into consideration I'm pretty heavy footed and I have put bigger more aggressive tyres on it since new. It has plenty of get up and go with the chip installed but there is still an issue with it (Chip) that sometimes under power it has a little miss which they are trying to find out why. I have pulled the chip out at the moment just to make sure it is the chip that is a fault and not something else with the Ranger. Unfortunately I have to keep this one another 12 mnths or so to get a little more equity in it otherwise it would be down the road in a minute. Its a tough decision but as a business owner in a small community you need to seen doing the righty ie spending money locally and I really would like a new Ranger but with the less than great service I have had from the Local dealer I will be seriously considering spending my $$ out of town on a BT Ugly... Oops sorry Mazda owners

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Will have a look at our dyno results (in Adelaide) but not sure if many auto's have been run on it. From memory don't think there is too much difference between the auto and the manual power runs and 90kw sounds pretty close. One of our work vehicles is a 3lt Ranger with a Rapid chip and exhaust, can let you know the before and after power figures if you want.

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Will have a look at our dyno results (in Adelaide) but not sure if many auto's have been run on it. From memory don't think there is too much difference between the auto and the manual power runs and 90kw sounds pretty close. One of our work vehicles is a 3lt Ranger with a Rapid chip and exhaust, can let you know the before and after power figures if you want.

Cheers Steve that would be great

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just heard on the :gossip: grapevine that one of the Local dealers is taking on a Mazda Dealership :minion_happy:looks like I may be joining the growing list of owners of those lovely BT-50's :peace:

Reactions: relgate

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Just letting you know I'm doing my civic duty this month, jury duty, and assigned to a case at the moment :ambivalence:, so will get you the info as soon as I can get back into work. Do you know the Ranger is a rebadged BT? Both made by Mazda.

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just letting you know I'm doing my civic duty this month, jury duty, and assigned to a case at the moment :ambivalence:, so will get you the info as soon as I can get back into work. Do you know the Ranger is a rebadged BT? Both made by Mazda.
Cheers Steve yeah I realise they are the same just a couple of different body panels and more bells & Whistles for less $$

Reactions: Wanda

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria

You mean the old ones! The new ones are not rebadged although they are similar in a lot of areas. My 2012 BT50 has far more Ford marking on parts than Mazda. Pretty sure they are now made by Ford in Thailand and had some design in Australia by Ford. I had a look at a Ranger space cab 2x4 XTR for a new work car (Mazda don't make one) and they are similar but different. Actually you get a few more things in the ford. I still like the dash in the Mazda but I liked the seat material in the Ford.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Just to clarify. Both the Ranger and the BT50 were designed by Ford Australia, and are both built in a joint venture manufacturing plant in Thailand.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Cheers Steve that would be great
Hi Grant here is the dyno print out for a Ford Ranger 3lt with auto transmission. The lower curve is a standard power output and the upper curve is for the same vehicle after a Rapid chip was fitted. Have also looked at the manual gearbox model and the maximum power results are very similar to the auto. Also we have our own 3lt Hilux which is also auto and has been chipped and 3" exhaust which has almost identical power curves before and after compared to the Ranger. Hilux peaked at 92kw.
dyno test.jpg
It's my first attempt at adding an image, so fingers crossed.