20' Series Stub axel wear

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
Feeling my age after getting 3 of 4 hubs serviced ... nothing is light ... and walking around on your knees for hours is no fun. Anyway, one of the stub axels per photo was worn and I was wondering what caused this. Annoyingly when I took the nut off the adjustment seemed good.... i.e. that's where I would have adjusted it too (for what that's worth). In terms of full disclosure they have not been serviced for 15-20k there is no unusual tyre wear on that wheel.

IMG_0690[1].JPG

Also I used Castrol High temp grease HTB2 which I assumed was 'the blue stuff'... but was not. What is the brand of the 'blue stuff' and is it any better than HTB2?

Thanks, Brett

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Not Chinese bearings are they.? Other than that could they have been over tightened or lack of grease.?Any quality wheel bearing grease is ok. However 15-20000ks could be a problem travelling in dusty conditions.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The face where the bearing and the seal sit look like that have been rubbed with emery or a wire wheel to clean something up, it doesn't look like the bearing was spinning on the hub as it would possibly be blue and have different wear marks.....the dark mark where the seal is rubbing is fairly normal, from the pic the axle doesn't look damaged, grease colour means nothing, any High Temp Grease will do the job........new Jap bearings from a bearing shop will be cheaper than a van shop, use the number stamped on your current bearings ....... Unless your seal or cap is damaged dust or water shouldn't sorry them, your car bearings last for thousands of km and so should your vans, poor servicing of brakes is the main cause of van bearing failure by inattentive mechanics.

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
Not Chinese bearings are they.? Other than that could they have been over tightened or lack of grease.?Any quality wheel bearing grease is ok. However 15-20000ks could be a problem travelling in dusty conditions.

Jap ...NTN. Did notice at Jayco dealer when I got new seals - all Timken in the goodies cupboard ... I wonder it they replace with the good stuff?
IMG_0691[1].JPG

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
The face where the bearing and the seal sit look like that have been rubbed with emery or a wire wheel to clean something up, it doesn't look like the bearing was spinning on the hub as it would possibly be blue and have different wear marks.....the dark mark where the seal is rubbing is fairly normal, from the pic the axle doesn't look damaged, grease colour means nothing, any High Temp Grease will do the job........new Jap bearings from a bearing shop will be cheaper than a van shop, use the number stamped on your current bearings ....... Unless your seal or cap is damaged dust or water shouldn't sorry them, your car bearings last for thousands of km and so should your vans, poor servicing of brakes is the main cause of van bearing failure by inattentive mechanics.

The only benefit then with 'the blue stuff' would be that it is easy to see any discolouration. I must say I didn't see much although I reckon about 3% of the grease in the hub from the factory had seen any combat...

Maybe this is all a storm in a teacup ... come to think of it I just assumed it was worn ... maybe it is just the seal mark! doh!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I did a thread on bearing packing and stuff on here somewhere, I have red, green, yellow and some blue grease, all HT but some is marine, the black stuff for CV joints is the really yucky stuff.......If you have a spare set, pack them well with grease, wrap in grease proof and put back in box then pack bearings, seals with a set of disposable gloves and vac seal in a bag, they are ready to go and will stay dry and clean.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Chinese seals are also known to wear surfaces prematurely because of the harder seal material.