VIC Stringybark Creek Campground Tolmie at the Kelly Tree

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
VIC
The Stringybark Creek Camp ground is located 36km from Mansfield via Tolmie.
The campground is 2wd accessible and can be busy in peak periods, its 1st in best dressed in the peak season.

The campgrounds have just received a full make over with new long drop toilets along with new fire pits (12) along with new tables. The campground is located 11km down a well formed dirt road with excellent signage. Dogs are welcome as long as the are kept under control

Directly from the campground you can take a walk around the historical site of the Kelly tree and the site of the shooting of the Mansfield Police by the Kelly Gang in 1878. There is also evidence of the gold diggings in years gone by.
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/as...elly_Tree_and_Stringybark_Camping_Reserve.pdf

The road in
302.jpg
The entrance to the campground
348.jpg
303.jpg

Reactions: AddItUp

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Sorry about the quality of the pics I think the camera is on its last legs. Not bad considering it has been dropped more times than I can count and I carry it around the bush when dirtbike riding also
373.jpg
Look closely in the tree Its the a replica of Neds Armour It was put there in 1987? and the tree is slowly growing over it.
375.jpg

380.jpg

384.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The next group of pics are taken from Powers Lookout which is named after Harry Power the bushranger who hid out high above the King Valley from the Police. Ned Kelly was his apprentice when it came to the art of robberies. It is an amazing view over the valley below and of the surrounding mountains.Awesome.

A trip to here from Stringybark Creek is well worth it if the weather is clear.
466.jpg
From the viewing platform
454.jpg
440.jpg
The climb leading to the platform is just as fun as taking in the view at the top
450.jpg

Reactions: Lisao

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
G'day CD,
We took a drive up to Stringybark Creek on the w/e - just doing some location scouting for the first trip in the Expanda in a few weeks. Nicely setup camp area thats for sure, but geez the march flys were pretty bloody thick! I reckon I might have been carried off if I wasn't careful and the dog has probably got whiplash from snapping at them left, right & centre! how were they on your trips there? Probably seasonal I guess, but if the date on your camera is correct, you may have copped them too.
On the way down to Edi, we stopped at Powers lookout too, great view.
Planning a couple more recon. trips in the next few weeks up around Jamieson way
Cheers,
S&P

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey @S&P no marchies there on that trip and yep the date in the pics is right. We had the place to ourselves that weekend too.

We have also stayed there at Easter and it wasn't as busy as most free camping areas are at Easter.
Lots of spots around Jamieson let me know if you want any advice to mate. We are often up that way ;). We usually just decide on the day and hook up and go

jeep07a.gif

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Thanks CD,
And since you offered, I will pick your brain a little on the Jamieson area.
Basically we're looking for a free camping spot where there is river frontage (a spot of fishing would be nice, or just somewhere to cool off), is accessible for an onroad van as well (my folks are coming too in their Avan), and relatively quiet and dog friendly.
If guess that's a whole bunch of them up that way but advice from someone who's been there is always a plus. We'll likely do another recon. trip in a couple of weeks to pick the eyes out of what we've read about in the camping with dogs book I got for Christmas!
Cheers,
S&P

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day @S&P,

Sorry to hijack, we spent 4 nights after Christmas at Tunnel Bend Reserve camp ground about 10 mins past Kevington and approx 20 mins from Jamieson. Good camp ground with dogs and fires allowed. They also have a pit toilet that was clean. Has River frontage as well. You have to travel down a dirt road to get there, but worth it IMO. It is also listed in Camps7 on page 215, camp number 193. Can get normal touring style vans into camp ground, just have to be a little careful when turning left (from Jamieson end) into the grounds as it has a little drop that may get some vans stuck with the wrong approach. You have to be self sufficient as there is no power or showers etc. River water was ok in shower. People were using generators and were generally respectful of the times used. Our kids had fun with the dog having his first real swim. Another thing to note is that there was no phone(Telstra) or TV Reception, not a bad thing as it gets the kids off their electronic gadgets and into the fresh air. March flies were a pain but not enough to stop us going back again.

image.jpg

image.jpg
As you can see, we had plenty of room with our 20 foot van.
Cheers
Greynt

Reactions: S&P