20' Series Storm covers

Graeme Yost

Jul 4, 2016
Tasmania
Have been quoted by Jayco 1300$ for 2 storm covers , are these the best ones really only need the front , daughter and son in law plus 2 under 4 kids spent 10 wweks in the van with no storm covers and the bed ends got mould on them , so looking for the best covers that will help with this some nights where below freezing van is 20-68-2

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In my 14.44 I only had the privacy screens, handled a few good gully rakers including a hail storm and no water got in, they allow better air flow.................I very much doubt storm covers will stop mould on the bed ends, moist air will still be there either way if the sun isn't getting onto the canvas to dry it out, in fact storm covers on for weeks would make it worse and at that price it requires the classic "Tell 'em their dreaming" .............
Scrub the bed ends down with warm mild soapy water, let dry well and truly, then spray with the waterproof solution that you use on Drizabone Coats, not the pressure pack stuff, the liquid stuff that you put in a spray bottle, spray that so its nice and damp then let it dry really well before you fold it all up............... If the mould is really bad it may bleach out with the sunlight but don't use bleach or chlorine products or anti mould stuff on the canvas, just warm soapy water, scrubbing brush, if gets too soapy then rinse and let dry in the sundry it really well, good air flow is a must, then soak in the waterproof juice and dry..............

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Have been quoted by Jayco 1300$ for 2 storm covers , are these the best ones really only need the front , daughter and son in law plus 2 under 4 kids spent 10 wweks in the van with no storm covers and the bed ends got mould on them , so looking for the best covers that will help with this some nights where below freezing van is 20-68-2
$1300 ??? Wow, thats nuts. Many of the annex type places make very nice off the shelf storm covers for the Expandas. Ive got a Jayco storm cover, it came with the van. It looks the part, very lightweight, very neat and with the Jayco logo kinda looks less of an after thought, but make no mistake at $650 theres no way on earth Id be paying that. Even my lightweight Jayco version makes a significant difference to heat and cooling. Even with the diesel heater on, without the storm cover we still get that pocket of cold next to the canvas ... with the storm cover we dont

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Jayco Geelong have very thick covers much better than standed jayco ones only thing we have had on no complaints survived many a huge down pour can fold beds up with them on no leaks or water comming in very good 5 stars

AussieMadDog

Jul 20, 2020
W.A.
I recently bought all of the bits and pieces off eBay and made my own storm cover for the front bed (2013, 14.44). We bought sail track, sail track tape, marine grade vinyl (you can use canvas, but this is just for winter), velcro, and 3m double sided tape. Cost about $160 to make. More hours than we expected, and required the wife's skill on a sewing machine. Rather than one big piece, we made three panels that velcro together, or can be removed separately. They were tested with a thunderstorm on our first trip and we remained warm and dry. Worth looking into if you have spare time and someone with a bit of sewing skill around. They don't look too fancy, but we are happy with them.
Storm Cover.jpg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I recently bought all of the bits and pieces off eBay and made my own storm cover for the front bed (2013, 14.44). We bought sail track, sail track tape, marine grade vinyl (you can use canvas, but this is just for winter), velcro, and 3m double sided tape. Cost about $160 to make. More hours than we expected, and required the wife's skill on a sewing machine. Rather than one big piece, we made three panels that velcro together, or can be removed separately. They were tested with a thunderstorm on our first trip and we remained warm and dry. Worth looking into if you have spare time and someone with a bit of sewing skill around. They don't look too fancy, but we are happy with them. View attachment 65421

Very clever there @AussieMadDog .

Reactions: AussieMadDog