stereo and speaker loacations

JAS095

Aug 26, 2012
our e4xpand is a 2007 16.46-1 poptop and did not have speakers or a stereo fitted at the time of buliding, but i want to fit one.

Has anyone done this??

where did you put the stereo??

I thinking of near the light switch on the left as you enter the van in the over head cupboard, any thoughts on this ?????

where did you put the speakers???

I am thinking that in the bottom of the over head cupbordas at each end (the ones over entry to bed) any thoughts ????

have you got outside speakers and are you able to switch from inside to out, if so how have you done this????

where are the outside speakers loacted, the wall of the van or under the van?????

does having them under the van or on the wall pose any problems ??????

I know that there aquite a few questions here but I have some ideas and want to find out if others have had the same ideas and how they whent on achivenig them or the issues that made them change their minds

Thanks
Jason

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Jason, I put a stereo in the 16-49-1 that we had. I put the unit in the end of the overhead cupboard on the right as you enter the van. I didn't get around to putting internal speakers in, I ran the cable for the external speakers through the cupboards and through the floor to underneath and used waterproof plugs mounted under floor on annexe side. I then put 2 stainless screws ( for each speaker) into the bottom metal section where the skirt for the poptop is retained. I then made brackets which attached using these screws (keyhole in brackets) and then after hanging these brackets fitted the outdoor speakers to them.

The speakers then had cables with the other half (male) plug which plugged in underneath. Sounds technical but only took a few minutes to set up and saves the heartache of cutting big holes in the side of your van and trying to run cable. Looked pretty neat and sounded great! You can switch from inside/outside with the fader control on stereo and make sure you get one with USB/iPod inputs.

Cheers.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Our stereo and speakers were factory fitted, internal speakers are under rear bed external are up high under awning, the fader swaps them between inside and outside the unit is located in overhead cupboard opposite the door

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
This is the sterio I put in.
IMG2055-M.jpg
Here are the speakers
IMG2057-M.jpg
IMG2056-M.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Just on your question on how to switch to inside or outside speakers, if you stick to a sterio designed for a car then the sterio should have everything you need.
Think about a car with speakers in the front and rear of the car.
The car sterio has a fader setting to increase / decrease output of sound between the front and rear of your car.
Well you just apply the same concept to your speakers in the van. Consider your internal speakers as the speakers at the front of a car and the external speakers representing the speakers in the back of your car.
Thus the fader function on the sterio will then operate sound between internal and external speakers.