Electrical Static Interference

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
Okay Techo's....................this is where I appeal for your help and you get to shine and prove your worth. Here is my story so far
As I use a CPAP machine at night, I fitted a 1000kw inverter (supposedly true seine wave) This is connected to the battery with short 10mm (?) leads.
I have just fitted a Kenwood car radio, which is connected directly to the battery and it is working well.
Now comes the problem............ when I turn the inverter on the electrical interference caused by this inverter drowns the radio out, making it impossible to hear anything.
So, apart from the obvious step of not turning the inverter on, what else can I do to eliminate this static ?
It doesn't make any difference whether the inverter is carrying a load or not.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would, if possible run the radio from another power source, temporarily, to see if the interference is coming via the power supply or by the aerial, then you will know what sort of filter if any can be applied, there are simple filters for the power supply but if it's RF from the inverter then i'm not sure, other than a Faraday cage around it.................. Bound to be someone wiser on the subject around.

Reactions: Disco Duck

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
A buzzing stereo is the least of your problems ... the electromagnetic radiation from a 1000kW inverter would be giving you an entirely new personality aka Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde style, and the CPAP machine would be inflating you like the Hindenburg

(PS I know its a typo, but sarcastic humour takes no prisoners)

Clewsy

Apr 17, 2017
Cairns
I agree with the others, check earthing and connections. Could put some filters on the cables to get rid of the noise. Any specs / model & make of the inveter?

(Can't help the typo also,we know you meant 1kW = 1,000W ) You'll be able to supply the local hospital with a 1000kW inverter, might be a massive farady cage you end up making, might have to sleep outside the van ;')

Reactions: Drover

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I will try the other power source Drover, Thanks Always a good thing to try
The earthing of the cases is a one of the things that I neglected. Will fix that post haste. Thanks Mikerezny.
Okay, Okay.......so I put the decimal point in the wrong place...........I just noticed........no decimal point. How could I miss that ??
At least you all knew what I meant
1000kw ?? What size battery would I need to drive that ??
Maybe a new personality wouldn't be too bad anyway. Damn typos
Thanks Guys................I'll report any progress if I can get the Hindenburg down

Reactions: Drover