Starcraft Starcraft Battery Problems

Hi Everyone

I've had my starcraft for just 18 months, and apart from the bed we love it!

The other night, the solar charge regulator (TPS-555) was beeping. It was showing the battery was sitting at about 7 volts, and a check of the drifter panel it said the same thing.

I plugged the van in so the battery would charge (as is my normal practice) but the battery would only charge to 8.5 volts. I took the battery out of the van, but the battery won't charge to anything more than 8.6 volts. Would I be right that the battery has failed?

We are going away for easter, so this couldn't have come at a worse time. And just to make it worse, i can't actually get the van out of the driveway without the battery powering a caravan mover!

Is it possible that the charging mechanism has also failed? I would have thought that the battery would last longer than 18 months...

Any advice muchly appreciated!!

Cheers
Mark

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Sounds like your battery has collapsed.

You would normally expect a little more than 18 months, but not that unusual to only get that sort of time out of one.

Because you can't charge it in or out of the van, it pretty much points to the battery not the charge system.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree with @Bellbirdweb that the battery may be Kaput!
To be sure take it to an auto elec (Or somewhere like BatteryWorld) and they can test it and confirm things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bellbirdweb

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I had a similar problem when I left the van without power for 3 months. It would not come up with just the Setec but I disconnected everything from the battery and connected up my Projecta charger and the battery gradually came up again. It has stayed up since.
My thread is here.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Has it been charged while in storage?

If not, battery probably stuffed.

I'd get it checked asap.

If you need it over Easter.