Starcraft Starcraft 20.62-3 2014

fugs291

Apr 22, 2013
Western Sydney
We have just purchased a new Jayco Starcrft 20.62-3 at the current caravan and camping super show, we were wondering if anybody has the knowledage does Jayco run the pre wireing for a rear view camera or should we request the van have the wireing pre installed during the build. We do not take deliveray till November 2014. Also we have a Toyota Prado 2011 VX what towing mirrors do other forum member suggest.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Nice van, like that one ourselves, don't mean to be negative but hope you didn't order the Outback model other wise you'll exceed the Prado's 25ookg max tow capacity, going on listed spec OB tare weight 2210 kg + load allowance of 475kg

As for camera, I'd say ask them to wire it during build.

Mirrors, Aussie Truck mirror are good. more and more people seem to go for Clearview (a tad pricy) plenty on the market to pic from,

fugs291

Apr 22, 2013
Western Sydney
Thanks another quick question Bushman would you suggest Load levellers for this size van and vehicle

Last edited by a moderator:

fugs291

Apr 22, 2013
Western Sydney
Well what a day, we ordered our Jayco Starcraft 20.62.3 touring back in April at the Caravan & Camping super show, get a phone call today from Jayco to tell us that we now can no longer have a annex on the van due to the layout and the fridge being on the inside wall of the van, however if we wish to pay a further $300 we can up grade to a 12volt/240volt (two way) fridge then we can have a annex. Due to new regualation that came into effect on the 1st July. My whole argument with this to Jayco, the re sale vale will drop with a (two way fridge) and when we ordered the van in April there was no problem.
Further to my argument i said, So if I took delivery of this van on the 30th June we can have a full annex but if I take delivery of the van on the 1st July I can not. They further went on to tell me that no one will fit a annex due to the new regulations. Can anybody see the how dumb this sounds. Am I on my own here sorry for the ranting but this seems there has been little or no thought into this .

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Sounds like a reall disaster with the new regulations, however the 12/240V fridge will be a better unit, only problem now you is you will need solar to keep the batteries charged if you are bush camping. I bet the designers at Jayco are working overtime lately and they will be looking at moving the fridges to the RH side

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Unfortunately your not the only one in the boat, all the Expanda 17.56. owners have the same issue.
I guess you need to weigh up whether you need an annex or gas operated fridge.

If it were me I would get the gas fridge and then see what the annex manufacturers come up with as I think it will only be a matter of time before they work out a solution to duct it.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
The starcraft is a full size van isn't it? My brother has a nova and his fridge flues out of the roof. Maybe they need to redesign the cupboard above the fridge to vent it to the roof. Hers a photo it the white thingy on the back left corner (right side on photo). He has the standard looking dometic 3 way fridge with separate freezer. Hang on Ill have to post from my mobile phone

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
image.jpg
Heres the pic i was talking about. Cant see why they cant do that.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Honestly the 12/240v Waeco fridges are excellent. Only a couple of drawbacks compared to the 3-ways (I believe).
1) have to have a way to charge battery or always be plugged in to 240. Running a gennie 24 hours a day would not be a realistic option.
2) compressor noise when running especially of a night. They aren't bad but not silent.
3) slightly smaller capacity

Pluses:
1) Very quick cool down - even on 12v
2) Thermostatically controlled on 12v so not as large a draw on the vehicle when traveling.
3) Very efficient - minimal current draw.
4) No problems with annexe laws
5) No problem with pilot lighting or going out in strong winds.
6) Don't need rear ventilation panels.

I tossed up changing our 3-way when we ordered our van but decided to give the gas a go. When the time comes to replace it I will change it to a 12/240.

In saying this I don't think it is right of Jayco to be asking for extra $$$ when they knew about the changes coming in but buried their heads in the sand about it. I believe they should be advising that they had to change the fridge due to the law changes and give the buyer the option to change the fridge or not have the annexe at no charge/penalty to the buyer.

Just my opinion.

BJ.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
A lot of manufactures are now venting the the fridge to a roof vent, pitty Jayco haven't followed suit, bit difficult with a pop- top though.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Jayco do vent through the roof if it's the larger fridge size (or used to).

Good luck with it, for mine I would be trying it on and asking for your deposit back and seeing what they do.

fugs291

Apr 22, 2013
Western Sydney
Just got back from our first trip in our Starcraft 20.63/3 to Light House beach for 15 nights. Question to other Starcraft owners, we have noticed on our return home and cleaning the roof the variations in the roof skin seem to bubble rise and falls in parts. Has anyone else noticed this.

Thanks Jason

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Quite standard Jason. A bit disconcerting when you first see it but it is a rolled out single skin.

I can attest to the fact the 'give' in the roof bodes well for hail as it is quite flexible.