Starcraft Starcraft 17-58.3 Gas bottle not evenly spaced on A-Frame

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Hello,

I bought a brand new Jayco Startcraft 17-58.3 OB in March this year, so it is still under warranty.

A while ago I noticed that the 2 gas bottles were not evenly spaced from the front of the caravan as pictured below (one is about 100mm further towards to tow-ball than the other).

I have to get a few minor things fixed under warranty and was thinking to either;

- Get it moved so they are evenly spaced
- Remove both of them and install something like this instead http://www.gnschassis.com.au/product/jerrycan-and-gas-bottle-holders-with-frame-for-stoneguard/
- If carrying out the above modification, I may install a box flush with the front of the caravan and then install the above aftermarket holder

I do not have an extended A-Frame

Anyone else noticed if their gas bottles were installed like this?
What would you do out of my options listed above?

If I install the above holder (which sounds like a good idea), I am also thinking about moving the spare wheel to the rear, or underneath of the van.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 316
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 284
Reactions: Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeppers,
I think Jayco have finally listened to the masses about not being able to access the spare without removing a gas bottle
looks to me like their answer is that......

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Good to know that there appears to be a reason why it is offset.

I may now explore the pros/cons of relocating the spare to the rear bar and then install the parts I listed above.

Some have suggested may not be good to relocate the spare to the rear as it will be like a seasaw but being dual axle, it may not be as bad?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Some have suggested may not be good to relocate the spare to the rear as it will be like a seasaw but being dual axle, it may not be as bad?
There should be no problem with the spare on the back as a lot of the new Jaycos come with them fitted there already, Is the the rear bar round tube or RHS steel?

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
There should be no problem with the spare on the back as a lot of the new Jaycos come with them fitted there already, Is the the rear bar round tube or RHS steel?

thanks for the feedback.

The rear bar is not round, it is RHS (I had to look that up to see what it meant).

I may move the spare wheel to the back then and install the gas bottle/jerry can holder like in my first post.

Reactions: chartrock

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

some also suggest you need rated shackles

some dont know they are dribbling until you tell them to wipe their chins

as @chartrock said - there is no problem to moving the spare wheel, and as your putting in a box, an even better idea to balance it

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Did the change myself, moved spare to rear bar but got fed up with getting dirty dropping it so put it underneath with a wind down, much better and as for the moan about access, how many flats do you have ????
I then lined the front tyre rack with weldmesh, fitted a lift up hinged lid of mesh and that was where I stored my hoses and stuff.........

That set up would work, moving the spare to the rear would help with balance, measure from your tow ball on tug to the outer edge of the tug, should be around 900mm, then measure from your van tow hitch along your draw bar, anything in that arc stands a good chance of being hit on a tight turn.

I also fitted the rear drop down spare rack to a round rear bar and had no dramas.

Reactions: bigcol