Squeaky leaf springs

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi All
I've got a 4x4 Hilux SR and we recently went for a bit of off roading including water crossings and lots of dirt roads
I dont get to do this sort of thing all that often, and when I got back home I noticed that the leaf springs are VERY squeaky!
I wonder what the best way to clean etc is?
Is it a case of pressure wash then oil/grease?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi relgate by all means give them a hot wash if your shackles are greasable do so , if they are not you can pull the shackle pins out and give them a coat of antisease / never sease then re assemble. Dont spray your leaf springs with lubricant they get real messy and the leaves will move within the pack
cheers Russell

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi Relgate and welcome to the forum. I pressure wash mine after dusty runs and spray the leaves with silicone. As bush Palace says, don't use oil or grease on the leaf area or they will just pick up more dust and form a nice grinding paste.

Do you use the Hilux for towing an Expanda? Let us know some details of your van and where you are from etc. :thumb:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Relgate and welcome to the forum. I pressure wash mine after dusty runs and spray the leaves with silicone. As bush Palace says, don't use oil or grease on the leaf area or they will just pick up more dust and form a nice grinding paste.

Do you use the Hilux for towing an Expanda? Let us know some details of your van and where you are from etc. :thumb:

Thanks for the advise guys.
We dont have an expanda yet, but have been 'in the market' for one for some time. We plan to get one this year or next, but financial restrictions and a very young family (2, 4 and 7) have been holding us back. We currently have an old style camper trailer (like a jayco dove/finch etc) which is great fun but a little small for us now.

I was planning to go to the April supershow (again!) and compare Expanda with the compeditors. however, it seems like a no brainer to go the Jayco. My only concern is the build quality/consistency.

At this stage, our plan is to get a 17.56.2 OB, although I'm a little concerned about towing as the Hilux capacity is 2250KG, and our other car is a territory rated at 2300KG

All I need now is time and money...

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
At this stage, our plan is to get a 17.56.2 OB, although I'm a little concerned about towing as the Hilux capacity is 2250KG, and our other car is a territory rated at 2300KG

It is an issue. Our standard 17.56-2 has an ATM of 2283 kg and thats why we didn't go for the OB as our Prado only tows 2500kg.