17' Series Spare Wheel/ Draw Bar idea

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
Hi like minded people,
I am chasing some feedback on a TOOL BOX AND SPARE WHEEL Drawbar idea ( insight to a cost would be helpful) - good bad or indifferent to the idea - will need to be able to visualise for this this. Have taken some photos to assist... here goes..

1. relocate spare wheel - having to remove a gas bottle to access is a dumb idea.
2. include a reasonable tool box
3. relocate the gas bottles to a wider outer location beside loo box with Stone guard protection..

task:
1.make tool box ( with draw depth recess)go across the draw bar with angled bracket to accommodate spare wheel - per pic(this angle would appear to wok). Tool box size - Approx 1100mm long - 400mm base w 'recess between drawbar, approx. 300mm top - gas bottles mounted outside tool box with stone-guard protection.
3. Narrow rectangular long pole box for awning poles etc under front boot - approx. 240mm x 100mm.
4. receiver hitch mounted on rear bar to accommodate hitch and Stone Stomper when not in use.

Given the rough photos - hope you get the concept. Hopefully making it easier to access spare wheel - normally put dirty wheel bag over for floor mats etc - so this angel should work....??
Appreciate any insight you can offer.

my concern is draw bar / ball weights etc...

cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• 2013-12-22 08.43.34.jpg
    2013-12-22 08.43.34.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 827
  • 2013-12-22 08.43.56.jpg
    2013-12-22 08.43.56.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 634
  • 2013-12-22 08.44.38.jpg
    2013-12-22 08.44.38.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 654
  • 2013-12-22 09.12.53.jpg
    2013-12-22 09.12.53.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 673

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I think @Brad has the right idea, I think the spare there might take to much room from your toolbox. I know @JASA put the spare on the back to allow for the box, it probably helps even out the ballweight as well.

Reactions: JASA

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
Is it an option to mount the tyre somewhere else? On the rear perhaps? Or on a wind up under the van?
Under the rear will 1. still be hard to access, and 2 reduce height / ramp over angles, possibly scraping. The rear is an option (like the Windsors) with a fold down clamp, but have to relocate Number plate, and possibly reinforce the rear bumper. Am also looking to put a light collapsible trailer on the rear...

It may still end up at the underneath at the rear... just looking at options..

thanks for your comments anyway..

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
I think @Brad has the right idea, I think the spare there might take to much room from your toolbox. I know @JASA put the spare on the back to allow for the box, it probably helps even out the ballweight as well.

Something like JASA has but with the gas bottles not enclosed is what I am chasing...
cheers..

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
Hi Dog House,
I have mounted mine on the back of my 14ft OB and a few other things. The idea of jayco mount like they did is a joke, you have to take the gas bottles off first and removing the copper gas pig tails, im not taling the van apart to change a flat. I did my mod before we took it over the great central road to Ayers Rock, ooops sorry Uluru. I will try and put a pic on here for you. And before everybody starts about balancing the van, i added 2 x 20 jerry cans to the front of the van for extra fuel, and thank god i did, took and extra 80 ltrs all up in extra fuel, and used it a few times on the GCR. The small 10ltr jerry can is for the Honda generator, and on the other side of the wheel is 4.5 kg gas bottle for the webber. I hope this helps.
image.jpg

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
G'day @Dog House here's a couple of pics of what i did...

IMG_5325.JPG IMG_5345_a.jpg

I didn't really want the gas bottles in the tool box, but I didn't have much choice as I didn't get the extended draw bar. My main objective was to carry a generator and chainsaw for our free camps...so I suppose I achieved what I set out to do.
I have seen my set up on an extended draw bar where the owner had both gas bottles sitting in front of the box, so then they had the whole box for storage. It is someone on the forum and it looked good, but I can't remember who sorry!
I've not had any issues with balance, it still tows well

Look forward to seeing pics of what you do
Cheers James

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
G'day @Dog House here's a couple of pics of what i did...

View attachment 18976 View attachment 18977

I didn't really want the gas bottles in the tool box, but I didn't have much choice as I didn't get the extended draw bar. My main objective was to carry a generator and chainsaw for our free camps...so I suppose I achieved what I set out to do.
I have seen my set up on an extended draw bar where the owner had both gas bottles sitting in front of the box, so then they had the whole box for storage. It is someone on the forum and it looked good, but I can't remember who sorry!
I've not had any issues with balance, it still tows well

Look forward to seeing pics of what you do
Cheers James

Thanx James, I really like your box.....tool box of course... that is the type of thing I am after. With the rear wheel carrier is it a similar set up to the Windsor Rapid in the drop down mode? I have a feeling I may end up doing something very similar - although would prefer the gas bottles to not be enclosed... Kinda think I should have gone the extended draw bar now.. hindsight...mmm

cheers and Merry Christmas
Andrew

Dog House

Apr 16, 2013
Thanks Burnsey - have looked at your thread - top idea... appreciate the insight

cheers & Merry Christmas
Andrew

Reactions: Burnsy

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Thanx James, I really like your box.....tool box of course... that is the type of thing I am after. With the rear wheel carrier is it a similar set up to the Windsor Rapid in the drop down mode? I have a feeling I may end up doing something very similar - although would prefer the gas bottles to not be enclosed... Kinda think I should have gone the extended draw bar now.. hindsight...mmm

cheers and Merry Christmas
Andrew

Merry Christmas to you too Andrew (a day late!)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it...! I wish I'd got the extended draw bar too. The rear wheel carrier is the one that Windsor use on their Rapid. It is made by Preston Chassis. I had ADP Caravans in Kilsyth buy it from them when they manufactured my rear bar

Reactions: Dog House