Just Browsing some advice/opinion needed re outback or onroad ?

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
If you are thinking of upgrading your can, then I would get the OB, stronger chassis, bigger alko brakes, off road tires, u also get the solar pack included I think all good for free camping.

Re toilet/shower - all depends on your space needs. We figured we would use mainly caravan parks, so we got the outdoor shower, hotwater combo, extra gas bottle, water tank, and bought a portable toilet. I've got a pop up shower tent for the odd occasion we free camp.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
My 2c on this debate. We deleted the shower/toilet from ours as with 3 kids and 4 months away storage was more of a priority. We had the external shower fitted for the wash downs if needed and carried a porta-potty in the van (never used it in the entire time we were away).
We've never felt like it was required as free camping for a few days can be managed with the above-mentioned equipment.
I may get that stuff in our next van when I'm a grey nomad, but for now, not necessary IMO.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Also, we towed with an 05 Pajero 3.8V6 petrol and it was a thirsty bugger, and did struggle on climbs. I also found that I couldn't even sit on 100 in 5th gear, it would just run out of puff. Spent most of the trip in 4th and averaged 30lt/100km for the entire 23000k's.
something else to contemplate.

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
Also, we towed with an 05 Pajero 3.8V6 petrol and it was a thirsty bugger, and did struggle on climbs. I also found that I couldn't even sit on 100 in 5th gear, it would just run out of puff. Spent most of the trip in 4th and averaged 30lt/100km for the entire 23000k's.
something else to contemplate.

Wow wee. I thought my old petrol 100 series was bad (towing 23-25lt/100).

Reactions: crackacoldie

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I think the real issue here is economy of petrol vs diesel when towing a heavy load over hilly terrain. The unfortunate figure of 30L per 100km hopefully would not happen with a diesel Pajero towing a similar load at a similar speed over similar terrain. If a diesel Pajero was getting over 20L per 100km it almost certainly have a mechanical fault or towing a lot more weight than is legal.

We have made the move from a small van with no toilet or shower to a larger van with both, after a trip of 6 weeks to WA last year we decided to go for a larger van with toilet and shower. Some of the facilities at some caravan parks were not very clean, and also on the Nullarbor there is a real lack of toilets and trees to hide behind. I think an onboard toilet is a real good thing, especially if it is raining and you get crook and have to use it at 3am for about an hour or two.

Reactions: bigcol

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
30lt's do you have shares in a petrol station.. What size tank at 20's we get around 400k range only
I had 150lt on board and would get around 500k's with that. It was loaded up though, 2" lift, AT's, bullbar, winch, roof carrier with boxes (and fuel at times), rear storage, Engel etc etc. Sold it not long after we got back. Jeep does 14/100 towing same van, with power to spare.