17' Series Solar set up

Rad

Feb 20, 2020
Vic
Hi ppl,

Im looking at upgrading my solar and battery setup on my 2016 jayco outback expanda 17.56-2.
I run a Waeco 95lt fridge directly into a 12v plug outside the door of the van.
The van currently has a 150w panel and a 100amp which just runs the fridge and other item. I do have to run the caravan fridge in gas to do so.
I'm wanting to run all off solar.
I'm am a very big newbie into caravaning and solar by the way.
I'm thinking 2 ways adding a dual 120amp kick ass battery...

1. Plug a portable solar straight into the Anderson plug so I can harness the sun by moving it around

2. Connect a permanent one to the roof

Lastly ive been told that you may need to run the same solar panels together due to how they draw power ?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi ppl,

Im looking at upgrading my solar and battery setup on my 2016 jayco outback expanda 17.56-2.
I run a Waeco 95lt fridge directly into a 12v plug outside the door of the van.
The van currently has a 150w panel and a 100amp which just runs the fridge and other item. I do have to run the caravan fridge in gas to do so.
I'm wanting to run all off solar.
I'm am a very big newbie into caravaning and solar by the way.
I'm thinking 2 ways adding a dual 120amp kick ass battery...

1. Plug a portable solar straight into the Anderson plug so I can harness the sun by moving it around

2. Connect a permanent one to the roof

Lastly ive been told that you may need to run the same solar panels together due to how they draw power ?

Hi @Rad and welcome to the forum. This subject has been covered MANY TIMES, so suggest you go back over the posts and get the hang of what you want to do. Just a few things firstly. You cannot just run a cable from your solar panel directly into your Waeco fridge. Fridge must be connected to a battery and solar panel is connected across the battery terminals to keep battery charged and the charge rate is controlled by a charge controller. You certainly must have two batteries connected in parallel to run a compressor fridge 24/7 plus other electrical appliances. Kick Ass batteries may be good but you can do better and cheaper on Ebay IMO - suggest a couple of 130ah AGM type which can be purchased for around $250.00 each (or less) and delivered to your door. Can send you some links if you wish. Yes, you can connect two different solar panels into the one system controller, although this is not ideal as there may be different panel voltages and efficiencies. There are lots more considerations to make too regarding current draw of your fridge, the storage your think you need and the amount of solar power needed to keep battery/ies above 50% discharged. Think about your position if solar power is not possible or reduced for two or more days - rainy or cloudy skies. Without getting too detailed, assuming your compressor fridge draws 4A on run and has to run 50% or more per day, you are going to need to generate AT LEAST 48ah from your panels each and every day to just stay even, ( not counting other electrical draw) so after 2 days of no solar charging or limited production, you are just about at the limit of battery power without going below the 50% level of permanent battery damage or lesser chance of battery/ies being able to be fully recharged again. Solar panels do not draw power. They PRODUCE electrical current which MUST be controlled to prevent damage to battery/ies. More info if required. Cheers

Last edited: