16' Series Solar Regulator trouble

cal32

Jul 15, 2018
sunshine coast
My Topsolar Array 1230 seemed to be very suspect so was mucking around with it checking the wire connections and I think I accidentally shorted the battery wires (+ - touched) . Stupid mistake. Now I cant get any reading on it at all. Does this mean solar will no longer charge the battery ? Battery seems to be working ok . Heading away on Friday on will need Solar.

Ahhhh

Thanks

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
My Topsolar Array 1230 seemed to be very suspect so was mucking around with it checking the wire connections and I think I accidentally shorted the battery wires (+ - touched) . Stupid mistake. Now I cant get any reading on it at all. Does this mean solar will no longer charge the battery ? Battery seems to be working ok . Heading away on Friday on will need Solar.

Ahhhh

Thanks

Sounds like you have caused a short circuit across the battery terminals @cal32 . I would disconnect ALL wires from controller completely CAREFULLY for a few minutes! Then start by reconnecting pos and neg BATTERY wires first. That should show at least the battery voltage. Then connect solar INPUT wires pos and neg making sure that there is NO solar input available - cover panels fully. Then when sun available, see if there is any input in AMPS. Lastly, connect up any LOAD wires to Pos and Neg terminals making sure that all load switches are off ie. if you have those connections originally. If any of these procedures fails to indicate in the display, you may have a problem. It may just be the display is cactus, but more likely a more serious problem. A full and proper installation guide is as per the attached. If proven to be beyond working properly, you can purchase a new and better PWM unit than the Top Ray you had originally.

https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/solar_reg.pdf