Solar Reg Wiring

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I have a 120w folding panel that I as yet have never used. I have changed the regulator over for one that is fully waterproof and now have to hook up the wiring.
On the reg there is the +/- for the panel connection, the +/- for the Battery connection and a +/- for a load connection.
My question is this, do I have to use the load connection,
I would like to just connect the battery to the panels and use the fridge through an Engle plug directly to the battery.
Is this OK

Sorry for the Typo the thread heading is "Solar Reg Wiring." (Fixed mate :thumb: Cruza)

Thanks

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
FWIW, I always took power from the battery...never directly from the panel. Prefer connecting panel to multi-stage charger to AGM or Gel battery.

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
That is how I use mine, no connection to the "load" terminals. I have used it like this on the Expanda and previously the Eagle for probably over 2 years with no problems.

I think that some regulators offer a low voltage disconnect and may also tell you how much power is being used if you do use the "load" connection, but for me it wasn't practical to use it this way, due to the location of the regulator and the battery.

Jason

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks for your replies,

Thats the way I will do mine direct from panels to battery then connect fridge to battery not using load terminals. I just needed to check if it was OK doing it this way. With the panels being portable if the load terminal was used then another set of cables would have to be used from reg on panels back to where ever the fridge was this didnt make sense to me.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
The Load connection (on mine) is for connecting a small appliance that is running through the regulator like a light that would come on at night time and run from the battery through a timer/ low voltage disconnect (which I dont use ). Best way to connect is regulator to battery and then run what you want from the battery