Solar PreProvision Wiring from Factory...

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Folks,

We recently took delivery of our 16.49.1 OB and one of the options we picked was Solar PreWire.

Thing is, From the inside of the van, I can see where the Wire go's up into the roof on the one side - BUT - There is no Junction Box or anything like that on the roof...

Is this right? How will I get to the wires - or even know where they are? I really though that as part of the PreWire Option - they would have put a junction box on the roof so that when I am ready to install panels - I would simply hook them up to the Junction Box

Anyway - Could someone else out there who has got the Pre-Wire as an option please comment

Thanks

Reactions: Ozwitch

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Zerosecta

Can't say I know this one off the top of my head. You are right that there should be something there to hook up to.

What the result is for this one however I don't know but I will ask the question at the Brisbane Caravan and Camping Show tomorrow when I go.

If they want my business, they had better give me some answers...:boxing:

Hopefully sort something out. Only other thing is have you rung the dealer?

Cheers

Gil ;)

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks folks, Had a chat with jayco and yes it should be there, They installed the wire but no box - may even just do it myself since I'd probably do a better job anyway.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Makes it hard if no wire is protruding through the roof. You could probably get it located with a wire/pipe locator but it should be easier than that.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Zero

That would explain the blank look I got from the Jayco guy. He said call the dealer.

Hopefully it is not too much trouble to sort out yourself. Sorry that it was not the answer you were after... :(

Post some pictures of the work that you do so we have it for the record in case this comes up again.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Not done yet Mate, Not really high up on the list of things to do at this stage.

This will only need to be done when we go on a trip where we will have no power and not be hooking the van up to tow it for periods longer than five days (almost never right)

So I consider Solar Panels a nice to have rather than need to have - Thats also due to the fact that I have 240AH of Battery and our heaviest load on them would be the water pump - with our Swan we would go for 7 days on a 280AH Battery and only get down to 75% from 100%