Solar Panel

Feb 1, 2012
One of the things I did not think about when I got my Expanda was solar or the provision for same.

I am now thinking of getting it sorted so have a few questions.

1. I have two batteries in the van each with 120amp hour capacity. They are only needed to run lights and other bits and pieces when free camping. Will a 120W hour panel suffice?

2. The batteries may sometimes have to run a 60litre engle but i also have an extra battery 80amp hour under the hood that assists with this and i also have a portable 80W panel. If I chose not to take the portable panel can I charge the hood battery from the vans solar?

3. Does the weight on the roof impact on pushing the roof up? This is a question my wife has.

Looking forward to your replies and suggestions.

Marc

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Marc - we have 2 batteries similar capacity to yours and 2 solar panels (80 watts each I think) - so far we have had no problems when free camping (and I am yet to fit LED lights inside). The weight does not cause issues for us - though we don't have air-conditioning - if you had a roof top air conditioner then maybe the weight might be an issue???

Hope that helps.......

Bill

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
only got 1 panel on ours Factory fitted, 110 watt from memory only going to 1 battery 100amp, no issue so pushing the roof up even the better half can do it sometimes.

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Hi Marc,

We have ordered a 14 with 120 panel with 2x 100 battery for free camping.
We had an Eagle OB with 130 panel and 3x 55 bateries in parallel that ran our lights, radio and a 45 ltr ARB fridge no worries even camped for a week in bad weather and had on problems so I think you'll be fine with that set up.
Do not think weight would be a problem 1 panel would'nt be heavier then air-con?

Good luck

Tony