Exterior Solar Panel Wiring

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Can someone tell me how the wiring gets from the panel on my discovery poptop to the interior. I want to remove the panel to clean under it and to make sure the seal into the roof are all good as this is the last bit of sealing to renew on the roof. Thanks.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I just pulled my panel off the roof. The panel was hard-wired with 6mm unsheathed dual core auto-wire from the panels junction box into a76mm adaptable junction box. The adaptable junction box is under the panel, the underside on the cells was resting on the junction box whrere the heat from the panel had distorted the top of the box. The box is silicone to the roof skin and the wiring passed through a hole drilled into the side, which is caked with silicone. Inside the box the panel wires are joined to slightly heavier gauge auto-wire with 240v screw connectors, and the lot caked in silicone.

20190809_152815.jpg

Reactions: Drover

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks for that Info,
I havent pulled my panel as yet but with a LED torch It looks like the wires just disappear through the roof with a glob of sika where they enter the roof. No junction box, I will have to get onto it as if this turns out to be the case then it is a disaster waiting to happen and with no leaks yet and everything else with new seal it has now become a matter of priority.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If your going to have to disconnect the wires on the panel to fit a box or anything cover the panel so its blacked out then no shorts or anything......