Solar Panel Query

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I have a 120w factory fitted panel in my Disco, If I get another 120w portable panel with its own regulator (15A MPPT) can I just hook it up to the van battery.

Terry

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Probably a question best answered by someone in the know like Boots or Electric Guru , but I would, at a guess say not to hook it up to the van battery as well as another. I think you would need to connect the two panels on the inlet of a regulator, providing the regulator is rated to handle that much current. But best check with an expert I think

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Thanks for your comments CG, perhaps someone take this further for me, I seem to think I read something about this on the forum as part of another thead but I cant find it.
Terry

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hey jaybird
The captain is spot on with his assessment of your situation. While it would be unlikely to cause any damage by using 2 regulators you will most probably find that the regulators will interfere with each other to some extent. The most efficient way would be to use a single regulator and hook the two panels in parallel to it. Note when hooking panels in parallel both panels must be fitted with a blocking diode to prevent the panels from drawing power from each other. Most panels have these pre-fitted but ask the supplier to make sure.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
I concur, marvellous feedback there from the Captain and Boots as usual!!! :)

Only other thing I would add is if you are connecting the panel direct to the van regulator via separate cabling, make sure you use another type of connector since you don't want to accidently connect the panel direct to battery via the Anderson plug.

Keep us posted how you go. :typing:

Cheers