solar charge

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
hi guys
it would appear my solar panel is not charging my battery whilst on battery only but charges on power as i'm a total trogladite regarding solar is there anyone who can help me to understand how it is supposed to work

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
I'm assuming that the lack of a response is due to the majority of the Jayco community are in the same boat regarding solar as myself

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Sorry about the lack of response @coys 53, our resident experts on solar are usually prompt with answers. The only excuse I can make is school holidays may have them using their van and not reading forum posts.
There has been a lot of info posted recently about solar, albeit a bit technical but it covers most aspects. Try a search for solar and I'm sure you will find something that will help

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I missed it for some reason, more detail needed, type of charging system in van, Setek with seperate solar controller or a BM unit, battery type etc...... Each system require a totally different diagnostic....
At present parked by a nice river with total reliance on solar...

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Thanks drover
It is a cetek with seperate controller and according to a friend it is not possible to charge the battery with enough volts whilst running the fridge on 12v hence the rapid drain do U concur Alan

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Sorry about the lack of response @coys 53, our resident experts on solar are usually prompt with answers. The only excuse I can make is school holidays may have them using their van and not reading forum posts.
There has been a lot of info posted recently about solar, albeit a bit technical but it covers most aspects. Try a search for solar and I'm sure you will find something that will help
Thank chartrock will do

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Thank chartrock will do

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
Can you explain in more detail how you are determining that your system is not charging?

It would be helpful to post some details and pictures of your setup including any displays.

Has the system been working in the past and is now not working or are we talking about a system that has not worked since you have had it?
If is was working and has now stopped, have there been any changes, upgrades, replacements etc that might have had an impact?

Sorry for the flood of requests for information, but it is difficult to give any meaningful assistance until a few more details are known.

cheers
Mike

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks drover
It is a cetek with seperate controller and according to a friend it is not possible to charge the battery with enough volts whilst running the fridge on 12v hence the rapid drain do U concur Alan
If you are running a 3 way fridge on a battery, there is almost no way to charge the battery from a solar panel, it just won't generate as much as the fridge sucks out. Try charging with the fridge running on gas and nothing off the battery.

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Thanks chartrock
Running lights and radio as we speak 2hrs am/pm to replicate normal daily use

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Hi,
Can you explain in more detail how you are determining that your system is not charging?

It would be helpful to post some details and pictures of your setup including any displays.

Has the system been working in the past and is now not working or are we talking about a system that has not worked since you have had it?
If is was working and has now stopped, have there been any changes, upgrades, replacements etc that might have had an impact?

Sorry for the flood of requests for information, but it is difficult to give any meaningful assistance until a few more details are known.

cheers
Mike
Thanks Mike it would appear to be as chartrock says solar cannot keep up with fridge draw

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your 3 way fridge as stated should never run off the van 12v system, 12v must run from the tug and only when the engine is running, when in camp gas or 240v. If you wanted to run it off 12v you would need a genny to keep battery charged or over 750w of solar, mind you the fridge would be more like a food warmer on a hot day, 12v isnt all that great...even a 12v compressor fridge requires plenty of storage and a good bank of solar..........the fridge will kill a battery in an hour or so.

Reactions: Boots in Action

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Your 3 way fridge as stated should never run off the van 12v system, 12v must run from the tug and only when the engine is running, when in camp gas or 240v. If you wanted to run it off 12v you would need a genny to keep battery charged or over 750w of solar, mind you the fridge would be more like a food warmer on a hot day, 12v isnt all that great...even a 12v compressor fridge requires plenty of storage and a good bank of solar..........the fridge will kill a battery in an hour or so.
Thanks drover all advice paying off