Just Browsing Snorkels

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
I'm looking at buying a snorkel for my triton. I have been looking around at the well known brands around $600-800. I have also seen the ebay ones around $100. Has anyone bought one of these cheaper one and what have they thought of them. I know what the old sayng is get what you pay for but there is a big difference with price.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
...... but sometimes you get a whole lot less than what you pay. $600-$800 for a plastic tube?? I think not. I can't imagine how a cheap one could possibly let you down; Ive seen plenty of cars with home made plumbing pipe snorkels.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi @Four of us I fitted a snorkel in the past 12months and also went through the process of looking at the cheap vs $$$ and through all the reviews and forums I decided to go with the Safari the $$$ one, main reason being more people have had problems with the cheaper ones (well have posted more issues anyway) and if you get 20ml of water into that engine it is all over :).....my 2 cents

Reactions: Simon

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
There are a couple of reasons for the cheaper ones.

1. Many are not UV stabilised plastic. An important consideration for something that will spend most of its life in the sun.

2. Sealing and fitment. The more expensive models fit better and seal better, important for keeping both dust and water out.

As @burnsie has said, an extra few hundred dollars now is better than several thousands for en engine in the future.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Brought One of the cheap ones for my wrangler, it fitted up perfect. The only reason I did though was because it lived in the garage. The UV thing did worrie me. In saying that I have never seen a UV damaged one getting around town, so either no one is buying the cheap ones or the are ok??

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Four of Us

I've just gone through the same issue, not wanting to pay $700-$800 for a bit of plastic on a car (R51 Pathfinder) that is now 8 years old this year. In addition, I didn't want to pay for a snorkel to go through water (any deep water crossing would ruin the Expanda) but just needed it as I have a bigger exhaust & want more power.

I "bit the bullet" so to speak and bought an eBay special for $100 about a month ago at worst thinking I'd sell it again and loose about $50 bucks, or would just take it to my local 4WD shop who said they would fit it for about $250-300 (still better off!!).

Anyway after some "playing around" with the snorkel, template etc I just decided to give it a go. Cutting the hole in the side of the guard is the worst, but after checking numerous times got the snorkel in no worries at all and it fits/works perfectly. Even did the plastic bag over the end trick and stopped the engine in doing so.

Since putting it on my car I've just discovered that the snorkel I'd bought is actually an exact copy of Safari only $$$ cheaper - I didn't mean to buy a rip off but the quality, down to nuts & bolts etc, is identical.

Only advice I'd give in buying a cheap one is make sure it comes with a good template and also a gasket between the snorkel & guard - you'll find those a few bucks dearer, which I believe is because of those two reasons.

Taking mine for it's first trip this weekend with Expanda in tow to check for any improvement, but I can feel the difference without anyway.

Good Luck.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Helped a mate fit a cheapie ebay snorkel a few years ago and didn't come with the template.... Fitted well (eventually) but compared to a safari snorkel the wall thickness was a lot thinner (Close to 50% from memory). Not sure it lasted as he sold the hilux not long after!

Went through the same thought process a few months ago for a snorkel fro the Prado but SWMBO'd (aka Mrs Dagree) made the decision for me not to buy a safari or airflow one :baby::ballchain:

Did a bit more investigating and ended up compromising with her and went and picked up an Ironman snorkel locally at $320.00 and fitted it within a couple of hours. Pics of fitment can be seen here http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/dagrees-david-greer-2014-17-56-2ob.4749/page-17

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Thanks for your replies. The one I'm looking at buying is down to $90 delivered. I contacted the company and was told their brand of snorkels come out of the same factory as ironman snorkels..how true that is how knows.

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Depends on how long you're willing to wait, as occasionally you will pick up a top brand on a sale, but for what its worth, I reckon the TJM/Airtech snorkel look the best on the Trito's. I know it's not just about looks, performance wise it goes well too. I got one on eBay from TJM Parramatta online store delivered for $320, fitted it myself which was easy enough. I've also put in a K&N filter, and there's a very noticeable difference in performance. Having the ram head just outside the drivers window does make you notice the different sound too, a lot of whistling and gurgling.

Reactions: 17triton

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
There are a couple of reasons for the cheaper ones.

1. Many are not UV stabilised plastic. An important consideration for something that will spend most of its life in the sun.

2. Sealing and fitment. The more expensive models fit better and seal better, important for keeping both dust and water out.

As @burnsie has said, an extra few hundred dollars now is better than several thousands for en engine in the future.
I agree with @crackacoldie on this one. Yes I know lots of people with snorkels who have both the known brands and the cheaper ones. I have fitted a few of snorkels now (well known) and never had any fitting issues.

The only people I have heard complain about there snorkels are the ones who purchased the cheaper ones.

Their problems ranged from incorrect or no template. After 12 months the snorkel turning grey/white due to uv damage and excessively noisy.
Also not fitting snuggly against the guard making it look like an after thought. The inside of the snorkel not cleaned out correctly with excess plastic after the moulding process.

At the end of the day in my opinion your snorkel is a big investment that is designed to protect an even bigger investment. Over the years cheaper may have lifted their game ?? But its a big hole you have to put in your pride and joy.
Good Luck with you decision.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
This was the first snorkel I fitted :D crossing the Jamieson River and it worked well :rockon:

tritoncrossingjamiesonriver-1.jpg

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Fit 4wd gear for a living. Fitted hundreds of snorkels, 90% safari for a reason.
Have fitted a few cheap ebay $100 snorkels and WILL NEVER fit them again. They are crap, crap finish, crap quality, etc. Ive seen cheap snorkels filled with water and look like a sprinkler head, yep, water was leaking out all over the place.
Why buy a $50000 vehicle then fit cheapest parts you can find? Another factor is resale value. What do you think when people come to buy your vehicle and find it decked out in the cheapest gear you can buy? Either offer a huge price reduction or walk away, personally Id walk away.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
@Moto Mech blunt, but very good advice. Why risk a $15g engine on a saving of a couple hundred $$.

@Wayne2410 not sure you'd get much by way of performance, I'd be surprised if it was noticeable on most cars. With the water and added dust protection, the only other advantage is that the engine is sucking up, in theory, cooler air as its higher up, but I'd doubt it would be significant to notice.

I have TJM Airtech snorkel, fitted for around $300 from memory (got as part of a package) I have never noticed any extra or cleaner power as a result, but has kept the water out which is its main and probably only reason for being IMO