smoke an mirrors

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
ORA without support arm, seems OK, though they are useless in windy weather as they seem to move around no matter how much i tighten then.

I rarely use them though, just have them on the car to stay legal.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
ORA but no support arm yet. Seem Ok but very limited use so far. I will need the arm though as it tends to shake a fair bit even on blacktop.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Over the years I've tried a few. The ORA ones are OK, but I found them to vibrate quite a lot and occasionally be moved by passing traffic.
I tried both the suction support and magnetic support.
http://www.oraproducts.com.au/mirrors.html

Last year I bought a copy of the Aussie Truck Mirrors similar to these, but they had 2 mirrors per side, flat and a smaller convex piece
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARAVAN-...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a67a4a031
They were the best for stability but I lost the small convex glass on the drivers side early on and eventually lost the whole mirror head on the passenger side on the corrugations on the Gibb River Road.

I now just use the $20 clip ons LOL....

If money's no object and you plan to tow it quite regularly, these appear to be excellent, but make the car look like a "trophy head"
http://www.clearviewmirrors.com.au/

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
We use the Ora Rossa (clips onto car mirror and support arm suction cups to door) and they seem OK.

I was originally looking at the Aussie Truck Mirror style but the Kluger has a rubber strip that sits up against the window and I was a bit concerned that the way the aussie truck mirror sits into the window slot it would bend and ruin the rubber strip....so I decided on the clip on (with support) Ora mirrors.

Even with the support they do vibrate a bit when you get up to speed on the highway but I imagine most mirrors will vibrate somewhat, at speed.
I have had B-doubles pass on the highway and they haven't flinched (yet), so I guess it depends on how tight you have the bolts tightened....but all mirrors are different and perhaps with age they might start to move around more.

Dave

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Another with the ORA ones (no support arm). They vibrate a bit, but I haven't been bothered by them. On the drivers side, it was suggested to me to used an elastic strap from the mirror down to the wheel arch, which stops the mirror blowing in, which i do. It looks a little odd, but works a treat and cheaper than a genuine arm, and eaily removable.

I've tried the Aussie Truck ones, but like Doogle says, the clip into the rubber isn't convincing for me. Plus the window struggled to go up or down with the rubber pressure, or the bracket against it (depending which way installed).

After seeing the Clear View Mirrors at one of the shows, (and on a Navara so could see exactly what they'd be like on mine), I was very tempted. $800 a bit steep to look like a yank truck, but would certainly do the job. Still not ruled out yet. They also say 15 minutes to install, so I'd be happy to change them on and off for the normal mirrors just for trips, so the massive mirrors don't need to stay on all the time.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey guys I have a landcruiser turbo six ute 2004 model. My question is will these clip on mirrors fit the large toyota style mirrors ?
Cheers,
Doggy.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Shouldn't have a problem Doggy.
They clip at the top and bottom edges only, so the strap at the back is the only variable. I'd have to take a look through my box of "spare bits left over", but I think they came with extension pieces, but longer straps are readily available if required.

ora2.jpg ora6.jpg

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Nice pics Straydingo. For anyone getting the Ora Rossa mirrors, it was suggested to me by the Jayco dealer that helped fit them during van pickup to actually fit them upside down...which means the support arm is more in a horizontal position instead of a 45degree angle...which in theory should give better support when trucks fly past on the highway.

Seems to work fine and the mirrors end up in the same place.

Just an option to consider if using these mirrors.
Dave

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks Dave.
I have tried them both ways and it made no difference on mine - the surface area catching the truck slip stream stays the same. I do find having the connecting 'bar' and screw mount at the bottom is a little less obtrusive though - it gets lost in the background clutter easier.....