Sink Plug Seal - Check it

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Discovered water in our top draw. It was coming from the sink plug hole. When i took it apart there was no rubber seal only a small ring of sealant. This had just fell apart probably when i had to clear a blockage at the right angle bend ( why put a right angle bend in a sink outlet pipe ? under the van and had wiggled the pipe going to the sink. I bought an ordinary plug hole rubber seal set for $3.50 and placed one of the seals under the sink between the sink and the fitting. It has stained the bottom of the draw and i was lucky i noticed it early, others may not be so lucky and destroy the ply draws. Surely a 20 cent rubber seal could have been used.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks for the heads up Al.
I noticed on day one how ugly the sealant was around the plug hole. I've listed it for warranty repair as it was an all-round bad job, but I noticed on the factory tour that they all look the same. They need to have a talk to the guy that's installing them!

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
While you have it apart take a hacksaw to the top section that fits in through the top of the sink
20130107_143900.jpg20130107_143924.jpg
As well as the ridiculous right angle bend straight out of the sink the flow is half blocked off by the barb of the top insert. Cutting the barb off improves the flow out of the sink but it's still not spectacular. If you can find a nut to hold the top flange and connect the plastic hose it would flow a hell of a lot better.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Bugger did not think of that but as i now have a rubber seal instead of silicone i can take it apart no problem. Thanks for that tip.